POLS0014 Dissertation - 3rd Year BSc PPE students only
Course Code: POLS0014
Course Tutor: Dr JP Salter (Department of Political Science)
Assessment: One 7,500 word dissertation (100%)
Credits: 15 credits, 4 (US), 7.5 (ECTS)
Module Level: L6 (Advanced)
About this course
This module is a core third year module for students on the BSc Philosophy, Politics and Economics degree, it cannot be taken by external students.
Your dissertation is a piece of original and supervised research on a topic of personal interest to you, and relating to some aspect of your field of study. The dissertation should include both critical engagement with the literature, and a significant element of original research and independent analysis. In carrying out this piece of work, you will identify a topic and a question; make use of arguments, concepts, evidence and methods of analysis taught in your programme’s component modules; and clearly and rigorously write up your argument and conclusions.
The dissertation module - POLS0014 - exists to support you on this process. It covers topics such as:
· how to plan and organise your research, working to a deadline;
· how to write at a specified length and for a specific purpose and audience;
· how to assess and evaluate critically the contributions made by existing research or policy analysis (where relevant) in the chosen field;
· how to make use of the concepts and methods taught in your programme, in the analysis of a concrete issue or problem;
· how to approach and conduct original research;
· how to communicate clearly.