Dr Marc Esteve
Room: 1.04, 36-38 Gordon Sq.
Marc Esteve is an Associate Professor of International Public Management at the School of Public Policy at the University College London. Dr. Esteve is also the co-director of the Global Executive MPA, jointly offered by the New York University and UCL. He is also a visiting professor at ESADE Business School-Ramon Llull University.
He received his PhD in management sciences from ESADE Business School-Ramon Llull University in 2012, and prior to joining UCL, he was a visiting research fellow at Cardiff Business School (2011), and a postdoc at the Institute of Public Governance and Management (ESADE Business School).
He currently serves as Editor at Local Government Studies, and he is part of the editorial board of several international journals, such as Public Administration Review, the International Public Management Journal, or the Journal of Behavioural Public Administration, among others.
Dr Esteve's primary research interests have focused on understanding how individual characteristics influence decision making, specifically in interorganizational collaborations. He is currently delving more deeply into the mechanisms and effects of personality in the context of collaboration; his research explores the role of personality variables on strategic decision-makings by using experimental designs. His research has been published in scholarly journals such as the Journal of Public Administration Research and Theory, Public Administration Review, Public Administration, and the International Public Management Journal.
- Campion A, Gasco M, Mikhaylov S & Esteve M. The Challenges of Organizational Factors in Collaborative Artificial Intelligence Projects. Forthcoming at the Social Science Computer Review.
- Mele V, Esteve M, Lee S, Bel G, Capellaro G, Petrovsky N & Ospina S. Enhancing Methodological Reporting in Public Administration: The Functional Equivalents Framework. Forthcoming at the American Review of Public Administration.
- Campion A, Gasco M, Mikhaylov S & Esteve M. Managing Artificial Intelligence Deployment in the Public Sector. Forthcoming at Computer.
- Awan S, Bel, G & Esteve M. The Benefits of PSM: An Oasis or a Mirage? Forthcoming at Journal of Public Administration Research and Theory.
- Awan S, Esteve M & van Witteloostuijn A. Talking the Talk, but Not Walking the Walk: A Comparison of Self-Reported and Observed Prosocial Behavior. Forthcoming at Public Administration.
- Kowalski, R. Esteve M & Mikhaylov S. Application of Natural Language Processing to Determine User Satisfaction in Public Services. Forthcoming at Public Administration.
- Reyes-González J.A. & Esteve M. 2020. Public Accountability in Public-Private Partnerships. Forthcoming at Spanish Accounting Review.
- Pencheva I, Esteve M & Mikhaylov S. 2020. Big Data and AI – A Transformational Shift for Government: So, What Next for Research? Public Policy and Administration, 35(1): 24–44.
- Bel G. & Esteve M. 2020. Mirror, Mirror on the Wall, Who Performs Better of them All? A Meta-Regression of Public Vs Private Performance for Hospitals. International Public Management Journal, 23(1): 1–24.
- Esteve M & Schuster C. 2019. Motivating Public Employees. Cambridge University Press.
- Gimeno Feliu, J, Tornos, J, Camp R, Longo F, Reig, M Saz-Carranza A, Losada C, Ferez M, Esteve M, Rosell J. 2019. La Governanza de los Contratos Públicos en la Colaboración Público-Privada. Cambra de Comerç de Barcelona.
- Mikhaylov S, Esteve M & Campion, A. 2018. AI for the Public Sector: Opportunities and Challenges of Cross-Sector Collaboration. Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society A, 376: 20170357.
- Ospina S, Esteve M & Seulki L. 2018. Assessing Qualitative Studies in Public Management Research. Public Administration Review, 78(4): 593–605. – Included in the journal’s virtual issue of Most Highly Cited Articles of Public Administration Review.
- Losada C & Esteve M. 2018. Management Roles in Political and Senior Civil Servant Positions: A Multiple-Study Approach. International Public Management Journal, 21(5): 850-876.
- Esteve M, Schuster C, Albareda A & Losada C. 2017. The Effects of Doing More with Less in Public Sectors: Empirical Evidence from a Large-Scale Survey. Public Administration Review, 77(4): 544–553.
- Dasandi N & Esteve M. 2017. The Politics-Bureaucracy Interface in Developing Countries. Public Administration and Development, 37(4): 231–245.
- van Witteloostuijn, A.; Esteve, M. & Boyne, G. 2016. Public Sector Motivation Ad Fonts: Personality Traits as Antecedents of Public Sector Motivation. Journal of Public Administration Research and Theory, 27 (1): 20–35.
- Provost C & Esteve M. 2016. Collective Action Problems in the Contracting of Public Services: Evidence from the UK’s Ministry of Justice. Journal for Strategic Negotiation and Contracting, 2(3): 227–243.
- Esteve M, Urbig D, van Witteloostuijn A & Boyne G. 2016. Prosocial Behavior and Public Service Motivation. Public Administration Review, 76(1): 177-187. – Included in the journal’s virtual issue of Most Highly Cited Articles of Public Administration Review.
- Reig, M. & Esteve, M. 2016. Managing Public-Private Partnerships. Harvard-Deusto Business Review, 257(1): 32-33.
- Esteve M, van Witteloostuijn A & Boyne G. 2015. The Effects of Personality and Public Service Motivation on Collaborative Behavior: Evidence from an Experimental Design. International Public Management Journal, 18:171-189.
- Baethge C, Blom-Hansen J, Bækgraad M, Dunlop, C, Esteve M, Jakobsen M, Kisidia B, Marvel J, Moseley A, Serritzlew S, Steward P, Thomsen M & Wolf P. 2015. Conducting Experiments in Public Management Research: A Practical Guide. International Public Management Journal, 18: 323-342.
- Andrews R, Esteve M & Ysa T. 2015. Public-Private Joint-Ventures: Mixing Oil and Water? Public Money and Management, 33: 265-272.
- Andrews R & Esteve M. 2015. Like Ships that Pass in the Night? The Relationship between Public and Private Management Research. International Public Management Journal, 18: 31-60.
- Ysa T, Sierra V & Esteve M. 2014. Determinants of Network Outcomes: The Impact of Managerial Strategies. Public Administration 92: 636-655.
- Esteve M. 2014. Navigating the Complexities of Collaboration. Public Administration Review 74: 281-283.
- Esteve M, Boyne G, Sierra V & Ysa T. 2013. Organizational Collaboration in the Public Sector: Do Chief Executives Make a Difference? Journal of Public Administration Research and Theory 23: 927-952.
- Esteve M, Grau M & Valle R. 2013. Assessing Public Sector Values through the Tri-Axial Model: Empirical Evidence from Spain. Cross Cultural Management: An International Journal 20: 528-543.
- Esteve M, Ysa T & Longo F. 2012. The Creation of Innovation through Public-Private Collaboration. Spanish Journal of Cardiology 65: 835-842.
- Ysa T, Gine M, Esteve M & Sierra V. 2012. Public Corporate Governance of State-Owned Enterprises: Evidence from the Spanish Banking Industry. Public Money and Management 32: 265-272.
- Ysa T & Esteve M. 2012. Innovation and PPPs, in Greve C & Hodge G. Rethinking Public-Private Partnerships; Strategic Approaches in Turbulent Times. Routledge.
- Longo F & Esteve M. 2012. Assessing the Implementation of Managerial Reforms in the Government of Catalonia. Public Money and Management 32: 453-460.
- Ysa T & Esteve M. 2011. Assessing Public Networks: Proposal for a New Unit of Analysis, in van de Walle S (2011) New Steering Concepts in Public Management Research in Public Policy Analysis and Management, Volume 21, 41–56. Emerald.
- Esteve M, DiLorenzo F, Inglés E & Puig N. 2011. Empirical Evidence of Stakeholder Management in Sports Clubs: The Impact of the Board of Directors. European Sport Management Quarterly. 11(4): 423-440.
I teach the following modules:
- Policy Implementation
- Leadership and organisational Behaviour
- Strategy and Organisational Change
I supervise PhD students in the following areas:
- Public Management
- Artificial Intelligence
- Interorganisational collaborations