Dr Inken von Borzyskowski
Room: 2.06, 29/30 Tavistock Square
I am an Associate Professor in the Department of Political Science and Director of Global Security at the Global Governance Institute at UCL. I received my PhD in International Relations, Methodology, and Comparative Politics at UW-Madison; I also spent a year at Duke. I am originally from Berlin, where I received a postdoctoral research fellowship and previously an MA at Free University Berlin, and worked at the Social Science Research Center. I have been a research fellow at the European University Institute in Florence and at the International Foundation for Electoral Systems (IFES) in Washington, D.C., and a consultant at the U.S. Institute of Peace (USIP).
My research focuses on the domestic politics of international relations with an emphasis on international organizations and their effect on domestic conflict and elections. Specifically, my research falls into three areas: international democracy assistance; the causes and consequences of election violence; and international organizations’ membership politics (withdrawals and suspensions). In my book, I develop and test a theory of how international organizations can influence election violence by changing election credibility. My research is published or forthcoming in International Studies Quarterly, British Journal of Political Science, Journal of Conflict Resolution, Journal of Peace Research, Review of International Organizations, and Cornell University Press.
Podcast: UCL Uncovering Politics
Hear Dr von Borzyskowski speak about her research on the following podcast episode:
S1 Ep6 | Voter Information
- von Borzyskowski, I. (2019) The Credibility Challenge: How Democracy Aid Influences Election Violence. New York: Cornell University Press.
- Journal articles
- von Borzyskowski, I. and Portela, C. (2023) ‘Global Governance from Below: Regional Sanctions as Drivers of UN Sanctions’, Journal of Conflict Resolution, OnlineFirst.
- von Borzyskowski, I. and Vabulas, F. (2023) ‘When Do Withdrawal Threats Achieve Reform in Intergovernmental Organizations?’, Global Perspectives, 4(1), pp. 1–18.
- von Borzyskowski, I. and Vabulas, F. (2022) ‘On IGO Withdrawal by States vs Leaders, and Exogenous Measures for Inference’, The Review of International Organizations, 17, pp. 217–222.
- von Borzyskowski, I., Daxecker, U. and Kuhn, P. (2022) ‘Fear of Campaign Violence and Support for Democracy and Autocracy’, Conflict Management and Peace Science, 39(5), pp. 542–564.
- von Borzyskowski, I. and Wahman, M. (2021) ‘Systematic Measurement Error in Election Violence Data: Causes and Consequences’, British Journal of Political Science, 51(1), pp. 230–252.
- von Borzyskowski, I. and Kuhn, P. (2020) ‘Dangerously Informed: Voter Information and Pre-Electoral Violence in Africa’, Journal of Peace Research, 57(1) pp. 15–29.
- von Borzyskowski, I. (2019) ‘The Risks of Election Observation: International Condemnation and Post-Election Violence’, International Studies Quarterly, 63(3), pp. 654–667.
- von Borzyskowski, I. and Vabulas, F. (2019) ‘Hello, Goodbye: When do States Withdraw from International Organizations?’, Review of International Organizations, 14(2), pp. 335–366.
- von Borzyskowski, I. and Vabulas, F. (2019) ‘Credible Commitments? Explaining IGO Suspensions to Sanction Political Backsliding’, International Studies Quarterly, 63(1), pp. 139–152.
- von Borzyskowski, I. (2016) ‘Resisting Democracy Assistance: Who Seeks and Receives Technical Election Assistance?’, Review of International Organizations, 11(2), pp. 247–282.
- Book chapters
- von Borzyskowski, I. and Kartal, M. (2023 ) ‘Democracy Assistance by International Organizations’, in N. Seltzer and S. Wilson (eds.) Handbook on Democracy and Security. Edward Elgar, pp. 84–111.
- von Borzyskowski, I. and Kartal, M. (2022) ‘International Relations and Regime Type’, in J. Huddleston, T. Jamieson and P. James (eds.) Handbook of Research Methods in International Relations. Edward Elgar, pp. 105–139.
- von Borzyskowski, I. and Saunders, R. (2022) ‘Peacemaking and Election Violence’, in R. Mac Ginty, R. and A. Wanis-St. John (eds.) Contemporary Peacemaking. London: Palgrave Macmillan, pp. 307–331.
- von Borzyskowski, I. and Portela, C. (2018) ‘Sanctions Cooperation and Regional Organizations’, in S. Aris, A. Snetkov and A. Wenger (eds.) Inter-Organizational Relations and International Security. London: Routledge, pp. 240–261.
- Pevehouse, J. and von Borzyskowski, I. (2016) ‘International Organizations in World Politics’, in J. Katz Cogan, I. Hurd and I. Johnstone (eds.) The Oxford Handbook of International Organizations. Oxford: Oxford University Press, pp. 3–32.
Full list of publications on my website
I am Co-Director of the MSc International Public Policy, and I teach modules on ‘International Public Policy’ and ‘Global Public Policy’. I am interested in supervising students who work on international organizations and political violence, especially with quantitative methods.