Dr Elisa Calliari
I am a Research Fellow at the Department of Political Science, where I contribute to the European Research Council (ERC)-funded project the “Politics and governance of climate change loss and damage” (CCLAD). I am co-responsible for the cross -national comparative research on domestic loss and damage policy making, with a specific focus on developing countries.
I also collaborate with the ‘Risk Assessment and Adaptation Strategies’ division at the Euro-Mediterranean Centre on Climate Change (Venice, Italy), and I have participated to several international projects on disaster risk reduction and climate change adaptation in Europe and beyond (Caribbean Small Island Developing States, Mexico, Paraguay, Uganda). I have also been involved in policy-oriented research efforts, like co-authoring the Italian Climate Change Adaptation Plan, the 2017 Science for Disaster Risk Management Report of the European Union, and acted as expert on adaptation in transnational regions for the European Topic Centre on Climate Change Impacts, Vulnerability and Adaptation.
I have a background in International Relations and Diplomacy (MA, University of Trieste), a specialization in Environmental Economics and Management (MA, Bocconi University) and I hold a Phd in Science and Management of Climate Change (Ca’Foscari University of Venice).
My research explores the role of institutions and governance arrangements in supporting disaster risk reduction and climate change adaptation, and the emerging policy field of loss and damage associated with climate change impacts. I have expertise in a range of research methods including political ethnography, critical discourse analysis, participant observation, structured and semi-structured interviews and social network analysis. My fields of expertise include:
- International relations: study of UNFCCC negotiations, in particular political struggles around the Warsaw International Mechanism for Loss and Damage (WIM);
- Comparative politics: cross-national comparative research on domestic loss and damage policy-making, with a focus on developing countries and fieldwork (Fiji, Tuvalu, Senegal, Ethiopia, El Salvador, Peru).
- Public policy: study of national and sub-national policy-making processes related to climate change adaptation, with an interest in institutional constraints to adaptation.
I am also interested in nature-based approaches to climate change adaptation and disaster risk reduction.
- Farinosi, F., Dosio, A., Calliari, E., Seliger, R., Alfieri, L., Naumann, G., (forthcoming). Will the Paris Agreement protect us from hydro-meteorological extremes? ENVIRONMENTAL RESEARCH LETTERS. http://iopscience.iop.org/10.1088/1748-9326/aba869
- Calliari, E., Serdeczny, O., Vanhala, L., (2020). Making sense of the politics in the climate change loss & damage debate. GLOBAL ENVIRONMENTAL CHANGE, 64. https://doi.org/https://doi.org/10.1016/j.gloenvcha.2020.102133
- Calliari, E., Mysiak, J., and Vanhala, L. (2020). A digital climate summit to maintain Paris Agreement ambition. NATURE CLIMATE CHANGE, 10, 480. https://doi.org/10.1038/s41558-020-0794-0
- Calliari, E., Michetti, M., Farnia, L., & Ramieri, E. (2019). A network approach for moving from planning to implementation in climate change adaptation: Evidence from southern Mexico. ENVIRONMENTAL SCIENCE AND POLICY, 93, 146-157. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.envsci.2018.11.025
- Calliari, E., Staccione, A., & Mysiak, J. (2019). An assessment framework for climate-proof nature-based solutions. SCIENCE OF THE TOTAL ENVIRONMENT, 656, 691-700. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.scitotenv.2018.11.341
- Calliari, E. (2017). Loss and damage: a critical discourse analysis of Parties' positions in climate change negotiations. JOURNAL OF RISK RESEARCH, 21 (6), 725-747. https://doi.org/10.1080/13669877.2016.1240706
- Pérez-Blanco, C. D., Koks, E. E., Calliari, E., & Mysiak, J. (2017). Economic Impacts of Irrigation-Constrained Agriculture in the Lower Po Basin. WATER ECONOMICS AND POLICY, 4 (1). https://doi.org/10.1142/S2382624X17500035
- Davide, M., Calliari, E., & D’aprile, A. (2015). Climate policy after Paris: Assessment and perspectives. ECONOMICS AND POLICY OF ENERGY AND THE ENVIRONMENT, 2015 (3), 5-17. doi:10.3280/EFE2015-003001
- Hare MP, van Bers C, van der Keur P, Henriksen HJ, Luther J, Kuhlicke C, Jaspers F, van Scheltinga CT, Mysiak J, Calliari E, Warner K, Daniel H, Coppola J, McGrath PF. (2014). Brief Communication: CATALYST - a multi-regional stakeholder think tank for fostering capacity development in disaster risk reduction and climate change adaptation. NATURAL HAZARDS AND EARTH SYSTEM SCIENCES, 14 (8), 2157-2163. https://doi.org/10.5194/nhess-14-2157-2014
- Calliari, E. et al. (forthcoming), Article 8: Loss & Damage, in van Calster and Reins (eds), A Commentary on the Paris Agreement on Climate Change. Implementation and Application, Springer
- Mechler, R., Calliari, E.,..., Zommers, Z. (2019). Science for Loss and Damage. Findings and Propositions. Loss and Damage from Climate Change Concepts, Methods and Policy Options. Springer. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-319-72026-5_1
- Calliari, E., Surminski, S., & Mysiak, J. (2018). The Politics of (and Behind) the UNFCCC’s Loss and Damage Mechanism. In R. Mechler, T. Schinko, J. Linnerooth-Bayer, L. Bouwer (Eds.), Loss and Damage from Climate Change Concepts, Methods and Policy Options. Springer. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-319-72026-5_6
- Schneiderbauer, S., Calliari, E., Eidsvig, U., & Hagenlocher, M. (2017). The most recent view of vulnerability. In Poljansek, K., Marin Ferrer, M., De Groeve, T., Clark; I. (Eds.), Science for disaster risk management 2017. Knowing better and losing less, Joint Research Centre (European Commission). https://drmkc.jrc.ec.europa.eu/portals/0/Knowledge/ScienceforDRM/ch02/ch02_subch0203.pdf
- Mysiak, J., Calliari, E., Aerts, J., Lasage, R., Koks, E., Surminski, S., Mechler, R. (2016), Synthesis and Policy Recommendations. In Aerts J. and Mysiak, J. (eds), Novel Multi-Sector Partnerships in Disaster Risk Management, ENHANCE Consortium.
- Ramieri, E., Breil, M., Castellari, S., Calliari, E., Lexer, W., Fronzek, S. (2018). Adaptation Policies and Knowledge Base in Transnational Regions in Europe. European Topic Centre on Climate Change impacts, Vulnerability and Adaptation (ETC/CCA) Technical Paper 2018/4. https://www.eionet.europa.eu/etcs/etc-cca/products/etc-cca-reports/tp_4-2018
- Calliari, E., Mysiak, J., Santato, S., & Manez Costa, M. (2014). Partnerships for a Better Governance of Natural Hazard Risks. FEEM Working Paper 087.2014, doi:10.2139/ssrn.2512156
- Maziotis, A., Calliari, E., & Mysiak, J. (2013). Robust Institutions for Sustainable Water Markets: A Survey of the Literature and the Way Forward. FEEM Working Paper 058.2013, doi:10.2139/ssrn.2284031
- Puig, D., Calliari, E., Hossain, M.F., Bakhtiari, F. and Huq, S. (2019). Loss and damage in the Paris Agreement’s transparency framework. Technical University of Denmark, University College London, and Independent University Bangladesh. Copenhagen, London and Dhaka. https://www.ucl.ac.uk/global-governance/sites/global-governance/files/loss_and_damage_in_the_paris_agreements_transparency_framework_final.pdf