Professor Giovanna Tinetti
Professor of Astrophysics
Dept of Physics & Astronomy
Faculty of Maths & Physical Sciences
- Joined UCL
- 18th Jun 2007
Currently teaching Physics of Exoplanets, PHAS0068. Academic teaching summary at: http://giotin.org/pages/teaching.html
PhD students supervised at UCL
- Sushuang Ma, UCL, 2022-
- Alex Thompson, UCL, Oct. 2021-present
- Arianna Saba, UCL CDT, Oct. 2020-present.
- Vinooja Thurairethinam (second supervisor), UCL Physics Department, Oct. 2020-present.
- Sze Kay Cynthia Ho (second supervisor), UCL MSSL, Oct. 2020-present.
- Lara Anisman, UCL Physics Department, Dec. 2019-present
- Quentin Changeat, UCL Physics Department, Oct. 2018-Jan. 2021
- Gordon Yip (second supervisor), UCL CDT, Oct. 2017-Sept. 2021
- Billy Edwards, UCL Physics Department, Nov. 2017-Dec. 2019
- Mario Damiano (co-supervisor), UCL Physics Department/INAF, Dec. 2015-2018.
- Tiziano Zingales (co-supervisor), UCL Physics Department/INAF, Nov. 2015-2018
- Angelos Tsiaras, UCL Physics Department, Oct. 2014-2017.
- Giuseppe Morello (second supervisor), UCL Physics Department, Oct. 2013-2016.
- Marco Rocchetto, UCL Physics Department, Oct. 2014-2016.
- Emma Barton (second supervisor), UCL Physics Department, Oct. 2013-2016.
- Ryan Varley, UCL Physics Department, Oct. 2012-2016.
- Marcell Tessenyi, UCL Physics Department, Oct. 2010-2013.
- Camilla Danielski, UCL Physics Department, Oct. 2010-2013.
- Morgan Hollis, UCL Physics Department, Oct. 2010-2013.
- Ingo Waldmann, UCL Physics Department, Oct. 2009-June 2012.
- David Kipping, UCL, Physics Department, Oct. 2007-2010.
- Universita degli Studi di Torino
- First Degree, Laurea |
- Universita degli Studi di Torino
- Doctorate, Doctor of Philosophy | 2003
- Politecnico di Torino
- Other higher degree, Masters | 1999
She is the Principal Investigator of Ariel, the European Space Agency's next medium-class (M4) science mission to be launched in 2029. She is also co-founder and co-director of Blue Skies Space Ltd, which aims at creating new opportunities for science space satellites.
PhD in Theoretical Physics from University of Turin (2003), she has coordinated at UCL a team on exoplanets since 2007. Royal Society University Research Fellow (2009-2017). ESA External Fellow (2005-2007), NASA Astrobiology Institute/NRC Fellow at Caltech/JPL (2003-2005), Predoc and Postdoc at Caltech and University of Southern California, (2001-2003).
Prof. Tinetti has authored / co-authored 250 research publications. These include the paper with the highest altmetric score among Physical Sciences in 2019. She has delivered 300 talks, seminars and public lectures internationally, see complete list here: http://giotin.org/pages/conferences.html
Select appointments and achievements:
- Head of Astrophysics Group, UCL Department of Physics & Astronomy. June 2020-present
- Director – UCL Centre for Space Exochemistry Data. November 2018-present.
- Principal Investigator, Ariel (ESA M4 mission) payload consortium, June 2015-present
- Co-founder and co-director Blue Skies Space Ltd, June 2014-present
- Fermi chair, La Sapienza U. of Rome, 2019-2020
- Principal Investigator, ERC-funded programme "Exo-Lights", 2014-2019.
- Principal Investigator EChO (ESA M3 candidate mission) payload consortium, 2011-2014.
- Editor of American Astronomical Society DPS journal, ICARUS.
- Special Monte-Carlo Prize, May 2022, Principality of Monaco
- Cavaliere dell'Ordine al merito della Repubblica italiana (Knight of the Order of Merit of the Italian Republic), March 2020.
- Moseley Medal & Prize, IOP Institute of Physics, UK, 2011
- NASA Group Achievement Award (US, 2009)
- Edward Stone Award, with Mark Swain and Gautam Vasisht (JPL US, 2009)
Recent appointments in advisory boards:
- ERC panel member
- International Space Science Institute (ISSI) science team member
- Hubble/Spitzer/JWST panel chair/TAC member
- STFC Exoplanet Roadmap Advisory Team
- ESA Exoplanet Roadmap Advisory Team