Information for prospective students about the research programmes in Philosophy at UCL
Here is some guidance on preparing the two samples of written work we request are included with each research application (MPhil Stud or PhD):
- Writing samples are a crucial piece of our admissions process.
- We ask for two pieces around 2000 words each (excluding bibliography).
- The short length is because we deal with so many applications.
- We ask for two as we do not want to make the decision on seeing only one piece of work.
- If you send in longer pieces we cannot guarantee they will be read in their entirety.
- Longer pieces with highlighted sections can be submitted although we would caution against this as it is not always possible to get a feel for an argument from a section.
- Remember you are in competition with many other applicants so it is worth taking some time to work on a piece that fulfils the requirements.