We very much hope that we will be able to see you in London for the Summer Course in English Phonetics 2022. In the meantime, AUGUST 2021 will see our first ever VIRTUAL SCEP!
VSCEP 16-20 August 2021
|TEACHING STAFF||VSCEP 2021 TIMETABLE||FEES AND APPLICATION|
|DISCOUNTS||RECOMMENDED READING||OUR CENTENARY SCEP 100|
You can brush up your knowledge of the theoretical side of phonetics and bring yourself up-to-date on new developments. You may want to do ear-training and listening practice. Or you may just want to improve your own English pronunciation. It's all available in this one-week virtual course from the staff of UCL's famous Summer Course in English Phonetics, founded over a century ago by the great Daniel Jones.
Our course will cover all the main aspects of English phonetics:
- phonemic system (vowels and consonants)
- segmental analysis (allophonic processes)
- connected speech processes
- sentence stress (tonicity, accentuation)
- intonation (nuclear tones and prenuclear patterns)
These topics will be investigated both in lectures and in practical classes. Practical groups will be kept small (not more than six people) and will be organised according to your prior knowledge of English and your English proficiency. For example, we may have groups consisting of
- teachers of English as a foreign language
- undergraduate students of English
- university academics and postgraduates
The course will cover with both speaking and listening skills. You will get plenty of practice in pronunciation performance and in auditory discrimination in special ear-training sessions.