Language Sciences and Linguistics
- Linguistics MA: this conversion programme provides a thorough grounding in modern theoretical linguistics.
We offer two advanced MA programmes for students with previous training in linguistics who wish to deepen their knowledge in one of the sub-disciplines. These are primarily aimed at students planning to carry out doctoral studies and combine the advantages of a traditional taught MA programme with a strong research preparation component:
- Linguistics with a specialisation in Phonology MA: this is a research-oriented programme designed for students looking for concentrated study in phonology, with a focus on theoretically driven empirical research.
- Linguistics with a specialisation in Syntax MA: this is a research-oriented programme designed for students looking for a concentrated, advanced course in theoretical syntax.
We also offer a number of non-clinical programmes for students interested in furthering their knowledge of the speech and language sciences with view to a career in research, education or related disciplines. The main non-clinical programme is MSc Language Sciences, which provides a thorough multi-disciplinary introduction to knowledge and current research in the inter-related aspects of human communication. This programme includes a number of route which share a common core of modules and allow students to select a number of options in their chosen specialisation.
- Language Sciences: Neuroscience of Language and Speech MSc: this specialisation combines two previous routes (Linguistics with Neuroscience and Neuroscience & Communication) and provides a multidisciplinary introduction to research in the language sciences with a focus on neuroscience and linguistics.
- Language Sciences: Development of Language and Speech MSc: the combined specialisation in language development provides a thorough multidisciplinary introduction to modern knowledge and current research in the inter-related aspects of human spoken communication.
- Language Sciences: Sign Language and Deaf Studies MSc: the specialisation in sign language and deaf studies is unique among existing Master's degrees in providing a thorough multidisciplinary introduction to the psychology and linguistics and neuroscience of deafness and sign language.
- Language Sciences: Principles of Language and Speech MSc: the specialisation in principles of language and speech route explores the fundamental theories and methods behind the science of spoken language, in order to understand how we perceive and produce speech, how we tailor our speech for others, and how we acquire the sounds of our language(s).
- Language Sciences: Technology of Language and Speech MSc: the specialisation in technology of language and speech route explores computational methods and practices involved in uncovering underlying patterns in language and speech data, as well as providing a theoretical underpinning for why these patterns might exist and how they relate to human language use.