The #PALSGREEN19 Foodcam Initiative is a waste reduction project started by the PALS Green Impact Team that revolves around the simple principle that food is better in a stomach than in the bin.
On the 14th March 2019, the PALS Green Impact Team launch 'Foodcam' - an opportunity for our community to advertise leftover food to others (who in turn can collect and eat the food). If you wish to take part in this adventure and save the world one meal at the time (or just feel like eating free food) then join the Foodcam mailing list.
The project was set up by Saul Wodak (a UCL PALS MSc Behaviour Change student) and Lucas Michaut (a UCL PALS Behaviour Change Teaching Administrator) who, when asked about the project, said: "We are really excited that PALSFoodcam will reduce food waste, while feeding us all.. sounds like a WIN-WIN to us."
TO JOIN THE FOODCAM FUN AND EAT FOR FREE
- Step 1: Join our mailing list by either sending an email to email@example.com or using the QR code on the right. You can aslo add us on twitter https://twitter.com/PALSFoodcam
- Step 2: Every time someone adds food you will receive an email / tweet with a picture of what is available for you to collect.
- Step 3: Race here before someone gets it. (pro-tip: If you want to make sure the food is still around you can check the live stream at https://foodcam.pals.ucl.ac.uk - note that you need to be on UCL campus in order to view the live stream).
- Step 4: Eat to your heart’s content and feel like a world saviour.
HOW TO REDUCE YOUR FOOD WASTE FOOT PRINT
- Step 1: Collect leftover food from your events / meetings / jamborees or the food you don’t feel like eating anymore but is still edible.
- Step 2: Place the food on the table in the Foodcam Area (that’s what the camera can see) and make it look scrumptious. It's located in the 3rd floor Bedford Way canteen.
- Step 3: Press the button next to the screen.
- Step 4: Stay around and watch all the scavengers rushing to get your delicacies or leave it and go with the sentiment that you’ve accomplished something incredible of your day.
10 REASONS TO LOVE FOODCAM
- Over 1/3 of all food produced globally goes to waste.
- The annual value of food wasted globally is $1 trillion, and it weighs 1.3 billion tonnes.
- All the world’s nearly one billion hungry people could be fed on less than a quarter of the food that is wasted in the US, UK and Europe.
- An area larger than China is used to grow food that is never eaten.
- 25% of the world’s fresh water supply is used to grow food that is never eaten.
- If food waste were a country it would be the 3rd largest emitter of greenhouse gases (after China and the US).
- Food waste is completely avoidable.
- Agriculture accounts for almost 1/3 of global greenhouse gas emissions.
- In the home: food waste is worth £700 per year to the average UK family.
- 2.3 billion people are joining the planet by 2050 – this will require a 60-70% increase in global food production.