Library Leadership team 'highly commended' at Times Higher Education awards
27 June 2016
UCL Library Services has been 'highly commended' for its leadership and management.
The UCL Library Services Leadership Team had been shortlisted for the Outstanding Library category at the annual Times Higher Education Leadership and Management Awards (THELMAs) on 23 June 2016.
The category recognises outstanding work in library and information-services departments.
The University of Huddersfield were crowned the winners for Heritage Quay – a fantastic new knowledge hub bringing archives to life by using cutting-edge technology.
Excellent customer service
As close runners-up, UCL Library Services were acknowledged for delivering in a number of areas identified in the Library Strategy, which supports the vision set in UCL 2034:
- Focusing on delivering excellent customer service, with particular mention for the Customer Service teams in the UCL Main and Science Libraries
- Developing research-based learning hubs, such as the Cruciform Hub, with a clear commitment to environmental sustainability
- Aligning policies and procedures of the UCL IOE Library with those of UCL Library Services following the merger
- Fundraising over £2m to undertake externally-funded projects in 14/15, including the launch of the Stavros Niarchos Foundation Digital Library
- Launching UCL Press as the UK’s first fully open access university press.
Dr Paul Ayris, Director of UCL Library Services and Chief Executive, UCL Press, said:“The Library Leadership Team, which brings together senior managers and leaders from across the family of UCL Library Services, deserve lots of thanks and congratulations on the result. To be highly commended is a great outcome.”
The range and breadth of these achievements attest the dynamism and dedication of Library Services staff across the university. It was a remarkable outcome to receive this recognition for the Leadership Team and Library Services staff more widely.
Wendy Appleby, UCL Registrar and Head of Student & Registry Services, said: “This is a fabulous achievement and well-deserved recognition for our excellent library services at UCL.”
Benjamin Meunier, Assistant Director, Public Services, UCL Library Services