Professor Graeme Reid’s report into research and innovation for Welsh Government published
8 June 2018
Professor Graeme Reid (Chair of Science and Research Policy, UCL) has published a groundbreaking review of research and innovation policy in Wales, which considers the opportunities and challenges facing research in Wales, and how devolved government policy can support future growth.
Professor Reid was asked to lead the review in 2017. His report makes a number of recommendations to increase the visibility and influence of Welsh research, including
- Establishing a new Welsh Research and Innovation Office in London;
- Funding of £30m a year to incentivise and reward Welsh researchers to win more funding from outside Wales
- Increasing the impact of Welsh Government funding by creating an overarching brand for research and innovation funding.
Professor Reid said: “Given continuing pressures on public finance, significant reforms to higher and further education, and fast-approaching changes in UK and EU funding, this was an opportune moment to review Government-funded research and innovation in Wales, and I was delighted to have the opportunity to lead that work.
The growing UKRI budget now presents major opportunities for Welsh businesses and universities to win substantial funding, which can help ensure Wales increases its competitiveness in the research and innovation sector.”
Julie James, the Leader of the House in the Welsh Parliament, said that the Welsh Government would accept the report’s recommendations in principle and consider how they can be implemented: “I would like to thank Professor Reid for his hard work and that of the distinguished panel of advisers who assisted him. It is essential that we build on our strengths and grow the sector, as we respond to the changing UK research landscape and the potential consequences of Brexit.”
- Professor Graeme Reid's academic profile
- Welsh Government's announcement of the report
- Reid review of government funded research and innovation in Wales
- Professor Graeme Reid