UCL economics professor knighted in New Year’s Honours list
9 January 2014
A number of people from the UCL community have been recognised in the 2014 New Year’s Honours list.
Professor Sir Richard Blundell (UCL
Economics) was knighted for services to Economics and Social Science. Professor Blundell holds the David Ricardo Chair of Political
Economy at UCL, where he was appointed
Professor of Economics in 1984, and was Chair of the Department from 1988 to 1992.
Since 1986, he has also been Research Director of the Institute for Fiscal Studies (IFS), where he is also Director of the ESRC Centre for the Microeconomic Analysis of Public Policy.
UCL alumni, former staff and honorary degree holders represented in this year’s New Year’s Honours list include:
- Antony Gormley (UCL HDip Fine Art 1996 and UCL Honorary Degree 2006) – OBE for services to the Arts.
- Professor Juliet Compston (UCL MBBS 1970) – OBE for services to the Treatment of Osteoporosis.
- John Doggart (UCL Bartlett School 1964) – OBE for services to Sustainable Energy Technologies and Energy Efficiency.
- Professor Sonia Livingstone (UCL BSc Psychology 1962) – OBE for services to Children and Child Internet Safety.
- Professor Abhay Rane (UCL College Diploma, Urology 1995) – OBE for services to Laparoscopy Surgery.
- Professor Peter Sonksen (UCL MBBS 1960) – OBE for services to Anti-Doping in Sports.
- Professor Tilli (Elizabeth) Tansey (UCL PhD Life Sciences 1990 and formerly UCL Centre for the History of Medicine) – OBE for services to Research in the Medical Sciences and to the Public Understanding of Science.
- Professor Anthony Crook (UCL MPhil Bartlett 1967) – CBE for services to Housing and Charitable Governance.
- Philippa Foster Back (UCL BA Geography 1976; Lay member, UCL Council since 2008; Member, Advisory Board, Centre for Ethics and Law) – CBE for services to Antarctic heritage.
- Professor David Neal (UCL BSc Anatomy 1972, MBBS 1975) – CBE for services to Surgery.
- Dr Keith Ridge (UCL BPhar 1987, MSc Pharmacy 1991) – CBE for services to the Pharmacy Profession and to Patients.
- Dr Jacqueline Craissati (UCL CDIP Forensic Psychotherapy 1996) – MBE For services to Mental Health.
- (John) Michael Welbank (UCL BA Town and Country Planning 1957) – MBE for services to Local Government and the community in North West London.
- David Ryan (UCL CDIP Archive Studies 1987) - LVO for outstanding service.
- The Rt Hon Baroness O'Neill of Bengarve (UCL Honorary Degree 2010) – CH for services to Philosophy and Public Policy.