UCL well represented in the New Year’s Honours list
18 January 2013
A large number of the UCL community have been recognised in the 2013 New Year Honours list.
Sir Michael Heller, who was awarded an Honorary Fellowship from UCL in 2009, was knighted for charitable services. The Heller family have supported bursaries for medical students at UCL since 1998, allowing students to undertake non-medical arts-related activity.
Dr Steven Boorman (UCL MBBS 1983) has been appointed Commander of the Order of the British Empire (CBE) for services to occupational medicine and Professor Katherine Fenton, a member of staff at UCLH, has been appointed Officer of the Order of the British Empire (OBE) for services to nursing.
UCL alumni, from a range of faculties, were particularly well represented in this year’s New Year’s Honours list:
- Diane Burleigh (UCL Law 1991) – OBE for services to the legal profession
- Nica Burns (UCL LLB 1976 and UCL Fellow 2007) – OBE for services to theatre
- Tacita Dean (UCL HDip Fine Art 1992) – OBE for services to British art overseas
- Daniel Salbstein (UCL SSEES 1962) – OBE for services to promoting UK/Russia mutual understanding
- Professor Bhupinder Sandhu (UCL MBBS 1974) – OBE for services to paediatric medicine
- Teresa Sienkiewicz (UCL BSc Geography 1969 and MA Latin American Literature and Culture 1970) – OBE for services to the accountancy and pensions professions
- Erica Whyman (UCL MPhil Philosophy 1994) – OBE for services to theatre
- Professor Peter Fraenkel (UCL BSc Mechanical Engineering 1966) – MBE for services to marine energy
- Dr Karen Liebreich (UCL BA History 1981) – MBE for services to education and horticulture in West London
- Howard McKinney (UCL HDip Fine Art 1985) – MBE for services to further education and student welfare in Northern Ireland
- Captain Jerry Roberts (UCL BA German 1942) – MBE for services to the work of Bletchley Park and to code-breaking
- Commander Peter Fox (UCL BA Classics 1979) was promoted to Commander as part of the Army Awards