New secure payment service for student fees
20 April 2023
UCL has partnered with a new payment provider – Flywire – to enable all self-paying domestic and international students to pay their tuition and accommodation fees safely and securely.
The new payment service offers students a secure and simplified payment process, providing full transparency and tracking capabilities whilst saving students money.
What is changing?
The new payment service is being released in stages. The first release has been rolled out, and students can now process tuition fees payments in Portico with Flywire.
All remaining payments, such as tuition fee deposits, accommodation, and application fees, will transition to Flywire throughout the remainder of the 2022/23 academic year.
Please note that students are no longer able to pay their tuition fees via PayOnline or directly into UCL’s bank account. Tuition fees must now be paid through Flywire, which is accessible through Portico.
Why are we making these changes?
Modernising our payment offering provides students a vastly improved user experience journey. Some benefits of the new service include:
- Improved student experience – the payment portal is a secure and safe single point of entry for all student payments, allowing students from most countries to pay from their home country and in their home currency where available.
- Modernised payment offering – students can use a variety of payment methods, like bank transfer, debit or credit card, open banking, and e-wallet (including Alipay, PayPal etc.).
- Financial savings – the service provides cheaper foreign exchange rates for students, with a best rate guarantee for local currency bank transfers
- 24/7 Support – including multilingual support for students via phone, live chat, email, and more.
- Improved visibility – payments can be tracked online through the mobile app, or by contacting Flywire directly.
Details of the new payment service can be on UCL’s dedicated student payment website.