UCL staff recognised in New Year Honours 2017
6 January 2017
Congratulations to the members of the UCL community who have been recognised in the 2017 New Year Honours list.
Current UCL staff with honours conferred this year are:
- Professor Polina Bayvel (UCL Electronic & Electrical Engineering) - CBE for services to Engineering.
- Professor Claire Callender (UCL Institute of Education) - OBE for services to Education.
- Professor Peter Jones (UCL Civil, Environmental & Geomatic Engineering) - OBE for voluntary services to National Transport Policy.
- Professor Miranda Wolpert (UCL Psychology & Language Sciences) - MBE for services to Child and Adolescent Mental Healthcare.
- Dr Nicola Wetherall (UCL Centre for Holocaust Education) - MBE for services to Holocaust Education, Genocide Prevention and Human Rights Education.
Emeritus, visiting, honorary and former staff with honours conferred are:
- Dr Jim Smith (Honorary Professor, UCL Faculty of Life Sciences), Knight Bachelor for services to Medical Research and Science Education.
- Professor Nicola Lacey (UCL LLB 1979, Former UCL staff member) - CBE for services to Law, Justice and Gender Politics.
UCL alumni, fellows, honorary degree holders and donors represented in this year's list include:
- David Ord (UCL BSc Economics 1969) - Knight Bachelor for political service and service to the community in the South West.
David Sloman (Chief executive, Royal Free London NHS Foundation Trust) - Knight Bachelor for services to the NHS.
- Joy Hutcheon (UCL BA 1986) - CB for services to International Development.
- Cyril Chantler (Honorary Fellow and Former Chair of UCL Partners) - GBE for services to Leadership in Healthcare.
- Professor Kamaldeep Bhui (Bachelor of Science 1985) - CBE for services to Mental Health Research and Care.
- Professor Richard Burdett (UCL MSc Architecture 1981) - CBE for services to Urban Planning and Design.
- Lesley Sundstrom (UCL Bachelor of Science 1988) - CBE for services to Defence.
- Richard Winter (UCL BA Philosophy & Economics 1985) - CBE for voluntary services to International Development through Save the Children and Merlin.
- Alison Baum (UCL MSc Neurological Science 1994) - OBE for services to Tackling Child Health Inequalities.
- Joanna Burgess (UCL graduate 1974) - OBE for services to Children with Special Educational Needs and Disabilities.
- Aminatta Forna (UCL LLB 1985) - OBE for services to Literature.
- Timothy Haigh (UCL graduate 1976) - OBE for voluntary service to Homeless People in the UK and particularly Abroad.
- Nicholas Logsdail (UCL Slade graduate 1967) - OBE for services to the Arts.
- Amanda Nobbs (UCL MSc 1985) - OBE for services to Flood and Coastal Risk Management and Environment Protection.
- Professor John Van Reenen (UCL MPhil Economics 1993) - OBE for services to Economics and Public Policy Making.
- Penelope Cox (UCL MA (Effective Learning & Teaching) 2004) - MBE for services to Education.
- Manisha Tailor (UCL MA (Leadership) 2011) MBE for services to Football and Diversity in Sport
- Dr Wendy Warren (UCL MBBS Medicine (Clinical) 1987) - MBE for services to Emergency Planning and Health Protection.