National Student Survey: UCL results
12 August 2015
Overall student satisfaction at UCL has fallen by 3%, according to the latest National Student Survey (NSS) results.
The NSS shows that 83% of final year undergraduates are satisfied with their overall experience at UCL, down 3% from last year's result and against a sector average of 86%.
UCL's response rate, which was at its highest ever level in last year's NSS results, has also fallen 3%, with 71% of those eligible completing the 2015 survey.
Despite some disappointing headline figures, certain UCL departments have performed extremely well, with 100% satisfaction rates recorded in Anthropology and the Slade School of Fine Art, 97% in Speech Sciences and 96% in Cell & Developmental Biology.
UCL has also improved in learning resources (+1), which includes libraries and IT facilities, and remained steady for organisation and management and personal development. Results show a decline in teaching (-1), assessment and feedback (-1) and academic support (-1).
Professor Anthony Smith, UCL Vice-Provost (Education & Student Affairs), said: "After seeing some significant improvements in our NSS scores last year, it is obviously of concern that overall satisfaction has dropped. We take these results extremely seriously, are looking closely at the details and will listen carefully to the issues raised.
"We don't want to lose sight of the departments that have performed well and the fact that we have improved in terms of learning resources, which is gratifying in a year which has seen the opening of the Cruciform Hub and other significant initiatives. However, the huge transformation happening across our estate, driven by our ambition to secure a high-quality experience for staff and students, is still in progress and we recognise this period of transition does pose challenges."
We take these results extremely seriously, are looking closely at the details and will listen carefully to the issues raised.
Professor Anthony Smith
Three departments have increased their level of overall satisfaction by 10% or more, and six departments (the Bartlett School of Construction and Project Management, the Slade School of Fine Art, Anthropology, History, Speech Sciences and Biomedical Sciences) will qualify for a Provost's commendation, having achieved more than 80% participation and greater than 90% overall satisfaction.
Judith Hillmore, Head of Student Experience and Global Citizenship at UCL, commented: "The NSS offers an important insight into the views of UCL undergraduates and it's vital that, where we have fallen down, we recognise this and urgently address the underlying issues.
"UCL 2034 commits the university to becoming a world-leader in the integration of education and research, and the 2015-20 Education Strategy will determine where attention is focused over the next five years to obtain that goal.
"There are a number of initiatives, such as UCL ChangeMakers and the Connected Curriculum, as well as projects such as timetabling reform and assessment best practice, which all aim to contribute to the UCL student experience becoming second to none."
UCL will be able to access student comments on 20 August and digests will be circulated to all departments in the week commencing 24 August.
- National Student Survey: 2015 full results
- UCL Education Strategy Consultation
- UCL Teaching & Learning portal
- UCL 2034 strategy
- Transforming UCL