TEDxCERN simulcast at UCL
22 April 2013
CERN is hosting a TEDx event on 3 May 2013.
The UCL simulcast of TEDxCERN is open to UCL staff, students and members of the public.
The audience at UCL will be able to watch the talks live from CERN on a high-quality webcast, hosted by Nobel prize winner George Smoot, and discuss the subjects with UCL researchers. There will also be a drinks reception.
The theme of TEDxCERN is 'Multiplying Dimensions' and the event has an impressive list of speakers, including UCL's Hiranya Peiris on the Early Universe.
- George Church, who will talk about the recent breakthroughs using DNA
- Lee Cronin on Networking Chemistry;
- Chris Lintott on Citizen Science;
- Marc Abrahams on Improbable Research;
- Ian Foster, on Big Data;
- Londa Schiebinger, on Gendered Innovation;
- Maya Tolstoy, on Ocean Floor/Tidal Triggering;
- John Searle, on Consciousness;
- Eliezer Rabinovici and Zehra Sayers, on SESAME and Collaboration;
- Brittany Wenger, 2012 Google Science Fair (High School) Grand Prize Winner on Research and Inspiration.
Attendance is free, but registration is required. For details, and to register, see the event web page (link below).
Image: Dr Hiranya Peiris, courtesy of Max Alexander