Information Services Division - changes to organisation structures go live
31 May 2012
The Information Services Division (ISD) is now in the final stages of a significant organisational restructure which forms part of the Smart IT programme.
- World class IT enablement for research, teaching & learning; with
- Excellent common, standard shared services; and
- Strong customer orientation
ISD's new structure
These changes are implementing a completely new overall structure for ISD which aims to better support the goals listed above and this is illustrated in this diagram.
This structure contains the following new units and for each we have shown when the new unit comes into operation:
- Technology Services, Director Gavin Mclachlan (becomes active 27th June) - provide support of infrastructure services, service desk and customer relations
- Application Services , Director Hemanth Shanthigrama providing development and support for UCL's applications such as FIS, MyView, Portico, IRIS and Moodle
- IT Change and Project Delivery, Director Nic Crotch - providing project delivery and business analysis and change along with the divisional administrative support services
- Research IT Services, Director Gavin Mclachlan- providing IT support and facilitation for UCL's research with provision of research related IT services such as Legion and a new Research Data Service
- Learning Technology & Media Services, Director Jeremy Speller- providing support for E-learning, Design and Photography and Web, Mobile and Media Services
- IT for Support Services, Director Sarah Winmill- a new department providing in depth support for the Administrative Applications such as FIS and Estates systems.
- The following department continues to operate providing services to staff formerly in the Faculty of Biomedical Sciences:
- AISC, Director Sammy Massiah- provides IT Services to the areas covered by the old Faculty of Biomedical Sciences which are now part of the new Faculties of Medical Sciences, Population Health Sciences and Brain Sciences.
ISD Services and Contacts
One of the early changes coming out of the organisational change will be changes to contact points in ISD for customer groups in departments and faculties. We plan to communicate these changes over the coming months but for now please advise staff and students to continue to liaise with your current ISD contacts.
While there are no immediate plans to change ISD services, over time we aim to improve existing services and introduce new ones but there will be extensive communications ahead of any changes.
Research IT Services launch event: 2pm on 25 June in Ambrose-Fleming Lecture Theatre
Research IT Services will be hosting an event to launch the new department. This will be held from 2:00pm on Monday 25 June. There will be presentations followed by a reception in the Roberts Foyer. There is opportunity to talk to members of the teams and see demonstrations of some of the services.
To attend this event, please register here.
More information about Smart IT and the new ISD organisation is available here: www.ucl.ac.uk/smart-it/UCL
Mike Cope, Director, Information Services Division