Summer 2012 Bloomsbury campus building works
27 June 2012
Significant building and refurbishment works are taking place across campus over the summer following the end of this academic year.
Here is a summary of the works that are beginning over the summer:
Wilkins Octagon and Oculus
- Opening up the Oculus and creating exhibition space at the heart of the Wilkins building.
- 6th floor Computational Biology suite
- 4th floor laboratory for biology and basement peptide synthesis facility
50/51 Gordon Square
- Refurbishment for the Institute of Americas
1-4 Malet Place
- Data laboratory facility for the Jill Dando Institute
Medical Sciences & Anatomy
- 4th floor and basement laboratories for Biosciences
- Works to create a basement Geotechnics laboratory
Former Royal Ear Hospital
- Work for Bartlett to create warehouse type fit out on ground, second and third floors
The Podium, Eversholt Street
- 1st floor fitting out
External redecoration and repair contract - Bloomsbury Campus
- Scaffolding will be erected on the North and South elevations of the Medical Sciences Building and the Malet Place elevations of Egyptology for a programme of external redecoration and repairs
1-19 Torrington Place
- Concrete repair and external redecoration - scaffolding will be erected on the 11 storey elevations of the building for repairs to the concrete columns and panels and redecoration of windows etc.
- Replacement of heating boilers and clorifiers in basement plant room.
- Replacement of life expired versatemp units.
- Upgrade to lighting controls.
Christopher Ingold Building
- Renewal of roof coverings
- Replacement of chiller unit on roof.
- Replacement of air handling units to main lecture theatres
- Installation of pipe work and radiators for new heating system
Replacement of passenger lifts
- Chadwick Building
- Darwin Building
- 25 Gordon Street
- Central Collegiate Building
- MRC Building
3-4 Taviton Street
- Installation of new fire alarm system and emergency lighting
- Renewal of boilers in basement plant room and water hygiene works
- Phase 3 of renewal of heating system
- Renewal of steam and condense infrastructure.
- Replacement of fan coil units.
- Electrical switchgear and distribution replacement
Malet Place Engineering
- Modifications to existing heating mains
Malet Place/Anatomy yard
- Replacement of combined heat and power transformers, and relocation of units to external compound opposite boiler house
- Repair of main roof covering
Greg Beach, Director of Capital Projects and Ana De'Ath, Engineering & Maintenance Team
Leader, UCL Estates