Beacon Bursary application deadline: 19 April
15 April 2010
The deadline for applications for the current Beacon Bursary funding round is Friday 19 April.
The Beacon Bursaries are grants of up to £1,500 for UCL staff or research students with ideas to improve the status of public engagement at UCL. They are awarded three times a year, with deadlines in December, April and July.
A current example is a public discussion on donating your body to medical science, taking place on Tuesday 20 April at 7:30pm at Friends House, 173 Euston Road. Speakers include:
- Wendy Birch, UCL Biosciences
- Vishy Mahadevan, Royal College of Surgeons
- Louise Evans, London Anatomy Office
- Shaun Griffin, Human Tissue Authority
To register for a free place, email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 07855 788985.
Other typical project applications are:
- an open day part-organised by local people
- bringing NHS service-users into UCL to help train future medical staff
- a specific piece of public engagement training for UCL staff or students
- development costs for an application for larger funding for a major public engagement activity
- conference fees to attend a public engagement conference
- a participatory arts project with NHS patients
- hire fees for a public exhibition, event or meeting space
- activities encouraging an audience to share their thoughts and views on the future direction of a specific area of UCL research
- activities to use UCL's links with policymakers to allow communities and individuals who do not usually have a voice to influence policy
- a public event inviting people to get involved in areas of UCL that are not usually open to people outside academia.
Further examples of projects that have been funded previously are available at
the link above.
The application form, with guidance for completing it, is also available above.
For help or questions about applying, please email email@example.com.