New Students



When you arrive at UCL, one of your first and most important tasks is to enrol in person. On completion of enrolment, you will then be able to access all the facilities and services you are entitled to as a student at UCL. Please note that distance learning students will be enrolled remotely on completion of the pre-enrolment task and are not required to complete face-to-face enrolment.

When and where do I enrol?

Once you have completed pre-enrolment you will be sent an email telling you when to enrol. Enrolment will take place in the Student Centre located on the ground floor of the Chadwick Building, on the Gower Street campus. If you fail to complete pre-enrolment or don't receive any communication about these arrangements before you are due to arrive, please contact the New Students Team. All students are required to enrol within the two weeks from their official programme start date.

What do I need to bring with me?

All students should make sure they are able to produce their Student Number on request. You will find your Student Number on your offer letter from UCL. Please bring a copy of your offer letter with you when you come to enrol.

You will be asked to provide:

  • An accepted form of photographic identification. UCL's preferred form of identification is a valid passport. If you do not have a valid passport the following will be accepted forms of identification; a UK photo driving licence where this indicates the holder was born in the UK (a provisional driving licence is acceptable), a European National Identity Card, Armed Forces Identity Card. We will also accept an original birth certificate, adoption certificate or certificate of naturalisation when accompanied with additional photographic identification.
  • If you are coming to study at UCL from outside the EU/EEA/Switzerland, the presentation of a valid passport and visa to study in the UK is a mandatory requirement. You will need to provide evidence that you have permission to be in the UK that has not expired and does not prohibit study at UCL. Information on whether you require a visa to study in the UK, how to apply, guidance notes and application forms are available from the GOV.UK website.
  • If you are required to collect a Biometric Residence Permit upon arrival in the UK, you must do so before your enrolment.
  • If you hold a UCL Tier 4 visa but it was not granted for the programme you wish to enrol on, evidence of a new visa application for the new programme must be provided before your enrolment.
  • If you are registering at UCL while your application for a visa is in process of being considered in the UK, you must ensure that you have copies of your passport details page and your previous leave to remain in the UK and bring with you any acknowledgement that you have from the Home Office of your application.
  • If you have submitted your visa application through UCLU Rights and Advice Check and Send service, you are required to bring the UCLU coversheet given to you when your visa application is submitted along with the printed scans of your passport and previous visa.
  • If you have submitted the visa application yourself, a Post Office receipt detailing where documents have been sent will be sufficient in addition to printed scans of your passport and visa.

UCL is not permitted to allow students to enrol without the correct documentation so please make sure that you have all the required documentation before you travel to UCL. 

  • If you are a non EU/EEA or Swiss citizen you might need an ATAS certificate. Please see the International Student Support website for information and which programmes require you to have an ATAS certificate. Please note that if you require ATAS clearance and you have not already provided your ATAS certificate to UCL, you should bring a printed version of your ATAS certificate with you when you enrol.
  • If you have not yet done so, you will also need to pay your tuition fees, or provide evidence of a sponsor if you have not already done this (see the Pay Your Fees page for more information).
  • International students are advised to review the International Student Support enrolment page for further information.

Statement of Student Status

When you have completed enrolment, you will be given an enrolment confirmation letter which is also known as a Statement of Student Status. This is an official document confirming that you are a UCL student. You will present this statement to obtain your UCL ID card and can also use this as evidence to open a student bank account. It is essential that your home, contact and term-time addresses are up to date so that the correct information will appear on this letter.