MPhil/PhD Students


Learn more about what our research students are working on

Important Information

Teaching Opportunities

PGTA vacancies are only open to UCL research students. They are advertised via the Moodle handbook and on the Faculty Intranet.

 Frequently Asked Questions

We have put together a list of the most frequently asked questions below. If you cannot find the answer to your question here, please try the Moodle handbook or contact us. Please always include your student number when you write to us, so that we can help you more quickly andefficiently.  

How can I apply for funding to attend a conference / do extra research?

CMII has limited funding to enable its Graduate Students to carry out their research and attend conferences. Students wishing to apply for this funding should complete the form bellow and send it to Graduate Tutor Lee Grieveson.

CMII PGR Funds Form

The links below provide information for UK, EU and overseas Master's and research students, including further details on the scholarships, awards and bursaries which are available.

You may also be eligible to apply for funding from other sources within or outside UCL. Please check the the IAS / Octagon website as well as UCL Grand Challenges. There may be additional sources of funding available to you, but these change all the time. We recommend that you talk to your supervisor about opportunities relevant to your field/research, look at the information we send out via email or Moodle and of course do your own research.

Where can I find information about skills training?

The Doctoral Skills Development Programme is open to all postgraduate research students at UCL. The purpose of the programme is to give you the opportunity to expand your generic research skills and personal transferable skills. These skills are intended to help your research at UCL and also to enhance your life skills and employability. Transferable skills training for researchers is an important part of UCL's research strategy and the QAA Quality Code for Higher Education.

I'm interested in teaching - what do I need to do?

CMII offers opportunities to apply for teaching during their second-, third-year of study and, if appropriate, during their ‘writing-up’ year. Only exceptionally are first-year research students asked to teach. Part-time students may begin teaching in their third year. Teaching can be of language or content courses; the Writing Lab also has positions for postgraduate research students. 

Postgraduate Teaching Assistants (PGTAs) are usually asked to teach reading groups and tutorials or co-teach with more experienced tutors. They can also opt to be involved in marking, either by marking practice essays or by triple marking essays which have already been assessed by two experienced markers. These marks will have no impact on the students' final mark.

The work is paid on the basis of 3 hours for every hour for ‘contact time’ (one hour of teaching plus two hours for preparation and marking). The rate for this work is on grade 5, point 15 on the salary scale. For the current hourly rate, please go to http://www.ucl.ac.uk/hr/salary_scales/final_grades.php. All staff are expected to fund their own travel to and from UCL for teaching.

Positions are advertised as they arise via Moodle to all CMII research students and via the AH/SHS Faculty intranet - search for any new vacancies within UCL Arts and Humanities and Social and Historical Science departments via this webpage.  Normally, the advertisement asks students to fill out a form detailing their teaching experience and interests. If the applicant is shortlisted they may be asked to attend an interview.

Details of the scheme are available on the UCL Human Resources website.

All PGTAs should complete the ARENA ONE training.

I have taught / done work for CMII - how can I get paid?

If you are a current member of staff, please fill out a Form 6 and return it to Julia.

If you are not a current employee, please fill out a Form 7 and a P46 and send it to Julia. We also need to see your passport and visa (if required) and take a photocopy of it, so please come to our office once you have completed teaching/marking.

What is the Research Log and why do I need to use it?

The Log has been prepared to assist you throughout your degree programme at UCL. It provides a framework for recording details related to your graduate research programme, scheduled supervisory meetings and activities concerning the development of academic and keys skills. Your Log will also help you to assess your progress and to plan and chart evidence of the development of academic and discipline specific skills and key skills. The Research Log is monitored by supervisors and periodically reviewed by the Programme Director during the student's period of study. Completion of the various stages of the Log is a criteria of the upgrade from MPhil/PhD and final award of the PhD.

The Doctoral School offers an introduction course to familiarise new students with the use of the Research Log.

What happens on research presentation day?

In the summer of your first year (second year for part-time students) you will be asked to give a presentation about your research in front of other doctoral students and faculty. The presentation day usually takes place in early June and is a mandatory part of your programme of study. You will need to do your presentation before you can upgrade from MPhil to PhD.

The presentation lasts no more than 15 minutes, and the day will be organised like a mini-conference. The aim is twofold: to get useful feedback on your work, and to get some experience in presenting your research.

Can I write my thesis in a language that is not English?

All theses must be written in English.

However, for candidates in the field of foreign language and literature, the decision about which language the thesis should be written in would be made by the Faculty Graduate Tutor following consultation with the supervisor(s) and the School/Departmental Graduate Tutor at the outset of research. The decision would be reviewed at 6 months.

The English abstract is a compulsory additional submission and standard English Language skills are required.

In all cases, the oral examination of a thesis would normally be conducted in English.

Where can I find more information about the upgrade from MPhil to PhD?

Under UCL regulations, in the first instance, full-time research students are required to register for an MPhil degree. An upgrade exam will take place between 9 and 15 months after initial registration (at least 15 months for part-time students).

The upgrade seminar is a formal assessment, which takes place as a viva conducted by an examining panel that assess a written report and your defence of it. This means that you are expected to be able to explain and justify your research in response to questions by the panel. The upgrade panel normally usually the second supervisor, who chairs the viva, plus at least two other academics. The first supervisor normally attends as an observer and may participate in discussion if invited, but is not part of the panel.

If the upgrade is not passed, a second attempt is permitted within a specified time frame (see the Upgrade Guidelines for details). If this is not passed, the student cannot proceed to a PhD and remains registered for an MPhil degree.

Where can I find information about my viva / submitting my thesis?
I feel overwhelmed/stressed/anxious/depressed. What can I do?

For practical questions and support regarding your programme of study, please contact Patrizia and Julia. Patrizia also acts as Deolo for postgraduate students and can be contacted for information and advice on UCL's Equal Opportunities policies and practice.

If you are concerned about your academic performance, workload or anything related to that, please go to see your supervisor(s).

The Student Centre is part of UCL's Student Support and Wellbeing services and offers information and support to students enrolled on programmes of study at UCL and UCL alumni.

There are also lots of resources available to students who feel stressed, anxious or down during their studies at UCL. Student psychological services and student disability services offer different types of support, including a free phone helpline, short-term individual counselling and psychotherapy.

If you are concerned about the behaviour of a student or if a student has stopped engaging completely, and you believe that this may be due to health and wellbeing issues, please use the 'cause for concern form'

Useful contacts for UCL students

Student support website
• Online UCL student “Cause for Concern” form or email studentofconcern@ucl.ac.uk

UCL specific services

Student Disability services
Student Psychological Services

Out of Hours support

SSW services (and most of UCL) are available between 9am – 5pm weekdays
Outside of this, suggest students use ED or Care first: 0800 197 4510.

I have an issue with my supervisor / an issue that I cannot discuss with my supervisor. Who can I discuss this with?

 If you have any issues regarding your supervision, please contact our Graduate tutor Dr Jane Gilbert (j.gilbert@ucl.ac.uk) in the first instance.

What is going on at CMII and how can I get involved?

CMII/SELCS has a regular series of workshops and seminars for research students. The aim is to involve MPhil/PhD students more deeply into the CMII research culture and to foster a dynamic exchange between students and faculty.

Is there a decicated space for CMII research students?

 There is a space for research students in B01, 16-18 Gordon Square.

How can I get access to a locker?

We have a small number of lockers available on a first come first served basis for research students. They are located in B01.  If you would like to have a locker, please contact selcs.operations@ucl.ac.uk.

Do I need ethics approval?

Please have a look at the two pages listed below for more information on data protection, ethics approval and risk assessment.

Links and Resources

Important Links

Key Resources