- British Comparative Literature Association (BCLA) Autumn Graduate Reception
- Reading and Reception Seminars: Dr Sibylle Erle
- Medical (In)Humanities Workshops: Institutions, Languages & Social Practices
- Reading and Reception Seminars Spring Term Programme
- Taboos, Trends and Debates in Contemporary Scandinavian Children’s and Young Adult Literature
- Reading and Reception Seminars: Dr Ann Lewis
- Reading and Reception Seminars: Professor Patrick Pollard
- "You don't look old!": Public lecture by Lynne Segal
- Film screening and conversation with Professor Colin MacCabe
- Portraying Perpetrators screening: 'Harlan: In the Shadow of Jew Suss'
- Portraying Perpetrators screening: '2 or 3 Things I Know about Him'
- Portraying Perpetrators screening: 'The Act of Killing'
- Portraying Perpetrators screening: 'I Was a Slave Labourer'
- Portraying Perpetrators screening: 'The Passenger'
- Visiting Lecture in Comparative Literature
- Reading and Reception Seminars: Dr Carolyn Burdett
- Film screening: The Life of Zygmunt Bauman
- Film screening: Rainer Werner Fassbinder, 'Despair' (1977)
- From Phantasmagoria to Science!
- Pleasure, Pain & the Capacity to Relate
- Subtitles, Surtitles & Supertitles
- Auschwitz: Awkward Approaches
- London’s Burning: Our Habitat in Times of Crisis
- Books Before Towels: Germans on the Beach
- Reading and Reception Seminars: Professor Alice Jenkins
- Losing the Dead: Lecture by Lisa Appignanesi
- Medical (In)humanities: Secret Science
- Conference: Disturbing Pasts
- Humanity and Animality in 20th and 21st Century Culture: Narratives, Theories, Histories. An Interdisciplinary Conference
- Science and Literature Seminars: Francis Galton, Karl Pearson and the Biographical Laboratory
- 'My UCL Masters: what next?'
- Portraying Perpetrators screening: Dead Snow (2009)
Dr Jorge Diaz-Cintas receives an award by the Spanish Association of Audiovisual Translators. More...
Published: May 8, 2015 3:37:17 PM
Medical (In)humanities: Secret Science
Publication date: May 22, 2014 04:48 PM
Jun 03, 2014 02:00 PM
End: Jun 03, 2014 03:00 PM
Location: G01, 23 Gordon Square, London WC1H 0AG
Guest speaker: Professor Ulf Schmidt (University of Kent)
Professor Schmidt will present research material from his forthcoming book entitled: ‘Secret Science: Human Experimentation in Chemical and Biological Warfare Research,1915-2015’. His work has looked at the history of the European eugenics and racial hygiene, especially in relation to Germany and Britain in the 19th and 20th centuries, and the history of the Nazi 'euthanasia' programme, the killing of mentally and handicapped patients during the Third Reich. He has published widely on the history of medicine during the Third Reich, the history of human experimentation, the Nuremberg Doctors' Trial and the Nuremberg Code, and the history of medical film. His work is embedded in the historiographical tradition of social and political historians, historians of medicine and medical humanities as well as scholars of cultural history and history of science.
For more information about Professor Schmidt's work, please see: http://www.kent.ac.uk/history/staff/profiles/schmidt.html