- British Comparative Literature Association (BCLA) Autumn Graduate Reception
- Reading and Reception Seminars: Dr Sibylle Erle
- Medical (In)Humanities Workshops: Institutions, Languages & Social Practices
- Reading and Reception Seminars Spring Term Programme
- Taboos, Trends and Debates in Contemporary Scandinavian Children’s and Young Adult Literature
- Reading and Reception Seminars: Dr Ann Lewis
- Reading and Reception Seminars: Professor Patrick Pollard
- "You don't look old!": Public lecture by Lynne Segal
- Film screening and conversation with Professor Colin MacCabe
- Portraying Perpetrators screening: 'Harlan: In the Shadow of Jew Suss'
- Portraying Perpetrators screening: '2 or 3 Things I Know about Him'
- Portraying Perpetrators screening: 'The Act of Killing'
- Portraying Perpetrators screening: 'I Was a Slave Labourer'
- Portraying Perpetrators screening: 'The Passenger'
- Visiting Lecture in Comparative Literature
- Reading and Reception Seminars: Dr Carolyn Burdett
- Film screening: The Life of Zygmunt Bauman
- Film screening: Rainer Werner Fassbinder, 'Despair' (1977)
- From Phantasmagoria to Science!
- Pleasure, Pain & the Capacity to Relate
- Subtitles, Surtitles & Supertitles
- Auschwitz: Awkward Approaches
- London’s Burning: Our Habitat in Times of Crisis
- Books Before Towels: Germans on the Beach
- Reading and Reception Seminars: Professor Alice Jenkins
- Losing the Dead: Lecture by Lisa Appignanesi
- Medical (In)humanities: Secret Science
- Conference: Disturbing Pasts
- Humanity and Animality in 20th and 21st Century Culture: Narratives, Theories, Histories. An Interdisciplinary Conference
- Science and Literature Seminars: Francis Galton, Karl Pearson and the Biographical Laboratory
- 'My UCL Masters: what next?'
- Portraying Perpetrators screening: Dead Snow (2009)
Books Before Towels: Germans on the Beach
Publication date: Apr 25, 2014 03:12 PM
May 30, 2014 01:00 PM
End: May 30, 2014 02:00 PM
Location: Roberts G06, Sir Ambrose Fleming Lecture Theatre, Roberts Building, Malet Place, London, WC1H 0AT
Time for a holiday? What will you be reading? Mererid Puw Davies offers highlights from the contemporary German literary scene and newly re-issued classic works: all of them entertaining, gripping or fortifying – and all in English translation.
Learn more about: Irmgard Keun’s ‘Weimar-era Bridget Jones’;
Ingo Schulz’s humorous panorama of the post-reunification East; Daniel
Kehlmann’s twin stories of the explorer Humboldt and the mathematician Gauss;
Hans Keilson’s Dutch couple offering shelter to a Jew during the German
occupation; and more. Find out what the well-read holidaymaker is packing this