Proposal Tools and Information
- OM Tool for Planning Observations with Point Sources - finds S/N ratio of point sources and issues warnings on exposure and magnitude.
- OM Tool for Planning User Defined Science Windows - helps you to define and visualise your own OM Science Windows.
- Co-Ordinate Tool - transforms celestial co-ordinates to galactic and elliptical co-ordinates
- XMM-Newton User Handbook
- xmm go cd documentation
- ASCA ABC guide
- ASCA Getting Started Guide
- The CHIANTI homepage - "A Database for Astrophysical Emission Line Spectroscopy"
- The CLOUDY homepage - "Photoionization simulations for the discerning astrophysicist"
- FIGARO - a general data reduction system, v 5.5-0 User's Guide
- IRAF - Image Reduction and Analysis Facility
- local SPEX 2.00 manual - X-ray spectral fitting program written by Jelle Kaastra (SRON), particularly useful for high resolution XMM and Chandra data
- XSPEC (X-ray spectral fitting program) manual
- Zombeck's Handbook of Space Astronomy and Astrophysics
- See also the list of manuals in hardcopy form which are currently available and their location in the Lab.
Archives, Catalogues and Databases
- ARNIE - the ARchive Network InterfacE at Leicester
- NVSS - NRAO/VLA Sky Survey
- VLA Archive Database Interface
- Hubble Data Archive at STScI - includes the HST, IUE and VLA First Survey archives
- HEASARC archives
- LEDAS - the Leicester Database and Archive Service
- WGACAT - The WGA Catalogue of ROSAT Point Sources
- NED - NASA Extragalactic Database
Papers and Preprints
- ADS Astronomy Abstract Service
- BIDS - Bath Information and Data Services
- LANL - Los Alamos National Laboratory xxx-preprints archive
- LANL xxx-preprints mirror at Southampton
- ASCA Guest Observer Facility
- AAO - Anglo-Australian Observatory
- European Southern Observatory
- HERSCHEL - Far IR and Submillimetre Telescope
- Gemini Observatory
- ING - Isaac Newton Group of Telescopes
- James Clerk Maxwell Telescope
- La Silla Observatory
- Royal Observatory, Edinburgh
- SAAO - South African Astronomical Observatory
- NRAO VLA - Very Large Array
- See also the observatories page
- International Astronomy Meetings
- AAS Job Register
- StarHeads - Astronomers and Related People - a searchable directory of personal WWW pages
- Niel Brandt's web pages at Penn State - well worth a look!
- Getting the train? Railtrack travel information - tells you the fastest route
- Or travelling by car?The RAC route planner will give you the fastest and shortest routes, as well as traffic information
The Royal Society