MSSL is involved in two XMM-Newton instruments: the OM and RGS. This page gives information about the OM serendipitous source catalogue, XMM-SUSS, a joint project between MSSL and ESAC.
10 December 1999
MSSL is involved in several aspects of XMM-Newton, in particular the Optical Monitor (OM) and the Remote Grating Spectrometer (RGS). Please see the XMM-Newton, OM and RGS for further information on the instrumentation and projects.
The XMM-OM SUSS catalogues
The XMM-OM Serendipitous Ultra-violet Source Survey (XMM-SUSS) is a catalogue of Optical and UV sources detected serendipitously by the Optical Monitor (OM) on-board the European Space Agency's (ESA's) XMM-Newton observatory. The data were processed at the European Space Astronomy Centre (ESAC, Madrid, Spain) and at the University College London's (UCL's) Mullard Space Science Laboratory (MSSL) on behalf of ESA and is a partner resource to the 4XMM serendipitous X-ray source catalogue.
NEW for 2021:
This XMM-SUSS5.0 catalogue is the fifth version of the XMM-OM Serendipitous Ultra-violet Source Survey, released in December 2020. The data, cover the period March 2000 to February 2020.
- 10,628 observations
- 8,863,922 individual source entries
- 5,965,434 unique sources
- 1,120,754 sources with repeated observations
- Download the new XMM-SUSS5-0 (~1.2 Gb, ~4.5 Gb unzipped)
- or the reduced version XMM-SUSS5-0-lite (385 Mb zipped)
- pdf file (from previous version) with brief description of XMM-SUSS
- known issues
- Further information and analysis (on XMM-SUSS2 but mostly still relevant for XMM-SUSS5)
- XMM-SUSS Paper which describes the original XMM-SUSS catalogue (Page et al. MNRAS 426, 903 (2012))
The catalogue using readout streak photometry for sources too bright to be included in XMM-SUSS3 is also available.
- Download the supplementary catalogue and the associated paper
Other useful links:
- XMM-SUSS5 at ESAC
- 4XMM serendipitous X-ray source catalogue from ESAC
- Further information on the First version of XMM-SUSS
- Optical Monitor information from ESAC