Prof Lidia Van Driel-Gesztelyi
Professor of Physics
Dept of Space & Climate Physics
Faculty of Maths & Physical Sciences
- Joined UCL
- 1st Sep 2000
Main research subjects:
- Emergence and decay of magnetic flux on the solar surface
- Long-term evolution of active regions
- Coronal mass ejections
- Magnetic helicity
- Coronal heating
- Flows in the solar atmosphere and generation of the solar wind
- Coronal elemental abundances and their dependence on magnetic activity
Undergraduate and MSc courses:
2003 - 2013: Solar physics course (4th-year BSc Physics and Astronomy, MSc in Space Science, MSc in Spacecraft Technology and Satellite Communications) at UCL. This course consists of 30 lectures (four problem sheets), which I taught jointly with Dr. S.A. Matthews (2003-2008), Prof. K. Phillips (2008-2012) and D.R. Williams (2012-13), and I am presently teaching with Prof. Lucie M. Green and Dr. David M. Long (2016-17; 2017-18) The number of students ranges from 20 to 45.
Supervisor or co-supervisor of seven PhD, one MPhil, and four MSc projects (University College London, UK). PhD students: Christopher Goff (2005), Gemma Attrill (2008), Deborah Baker (2010), Ehsan Pedram (2013), Jack Carlyle (2016), Alvina On (ongoing), Alexander James (ongoing); Jack Jenkins (ongoing). MPhil student: Sally Dacie (2017). MSc students: Thibaut Lurton (2005), Rahul Patel (2005), Juie Shetye (2012), Daniela Weston (2015).
- Hungarian Academy of Sciences
- Doctorate, Doctor of Science | 2004
- Univerzita Karlova v Praze
- Doctorate, Doctor of Philosophy | 1990
1974, Univ. Diploma in Astronomy and Physics, Eotvos University, Budapest, Hungary.
1990, PhD Thesis, Charles University, Prague, Czechoslovakia.