- Faculty of Mathematical and Physical Sciences
- Teaching department
- Earth Sciences
- Credit value
- Maths & Stats Content and Requirement of PHAS0002 Maths Methods I, PHAS0009 Maths Methods II.
Alternative credit options
There are no alternative credit options available for this module.
This module covers basic principle of modern seismology. After an introduction of the history of seismology and instrument, the module will go through fundamental components of seismic wave theory, source theory and the use of seismic observations in constraining Earth’s interior and earthquake source property. These principles will also be connected to exploration seismology whenever possible.
By the end of this module, students should:
- understand basic wave equation, ray theory and source theory;
- understand nomenclature of seismic waves and identification in seismic recordings;
- basic skill in collecting/processing/interpretation seismic data;
- basic skill in reflection seismology.
PHAS0002 Maths Methods I, PHAS0009 Maths Methods II are prerequisites for this module.
Module deliveries for 2020/21 academic year
Intended teaching term: Term 1 Undergraduate (FHEQ Level 6)
Teaching and assessment
- Mode of study
- Methods of assessment
40% Unseen two-hour written examination30% Problem sheet30% Mini project
- Mark scheme
- Numeric Marks
- Number of students on module in previous year
- Module leader
- Dr Teh-Ru Song
- Who to contact for more information
This module description was last updated on 5th March 2020.