- Faculty of Brain Sciences
- Teaching department
- Division of Psychology and Language Sciences
- Credit value
Alternative credit options
There are no alternative credit options available for this module.
This module introduces the concept of phonemic transcription and discusses the features of connected speech in English.
Feature representations of segments are introduced and the concept of formal phonological rules and underlying representations are discussed. An introduction to acoustics and speech perception.
The primary learning objectives are:
- To enable students to develop skills in phonemic transcription of English, which will be used in later modules in English phonology.
- To introduce phonological concepts.
- To relate phonetic concepts to physical descriptions of speech.
Module deliveries for 2020/21 academic year
Intended teaching term: Term 2 Postgraduate (FHEQ Level 7)
Teaching and assessment
- Mode of study
- Methods of assessment
100% Exam (1.5 Hours)
- Mark scheme
- Numeric Marks
- Number of students on module in previous year
- Module leader
- Who to contact for more information
This module description was last updated on 5th March 2020.