Accreditation for Medical Education

There are various ways in which you can get accreditation for your work in Medical Education:

  • Certificates for individual roles

    • UCL Medical School endorses the programmes and roles listed in this teaching portal. If you take on a role and provide teaching as part of one of these programmes you will receive an official certificate which you can add to your ePortfolio. Talk to your programme lead about this. 
  • Awards and Recognition of best practice

  • Higher Education Academy

    • If you make a sustained commitment to teaching and engage with the literature relevant to medical education, you could apply to become an Associate Fellow of the Higher Education Academy, through the Individual Recognition Route. The HEA website provides information on the criteria for recognition, and the details of the application process (requires an application form, references and a small fee). Then you can add even more letters to your name (AFHEA)! 
  • Publish 

    • In the same way that you may have undertaken small research projects and audits alongside your clinical role, you may wish to think about research projects in medical education, and pursue opportunities to present at National and International Conferences, and submit letters or papers to journals. If you have ideas for research projects and would like advice and support, talk to your site lead (see relevant pages), a Clinical Teaching Fellow or another member of the research staff at ACME. Have a look at the Medical Education Journals out there (see resources) and the types of articles they publish before you start your project. 
  • GMC

Taking your interest further

Become a Clinical Teaching Fellow

If you are interested in becoming a Clinical Teaching Fellow at UCL you can find further information on the Clinical Teaching Fellow pages. You can find out who the current fellows are, what they do, and also watch a video in which Dr Bob Klaber from Imperial Hospital talks about how being a teaching fellow influenced his subsequent career. 

Get an Academic Qualification

The MSc in Medical Education is jointly run by UCL and the Royal College of Physicians. It is a 3 year course, building to an MSc, although participants can leave with a Postgraduate Certificate after 1 year, and a Postgraduate Diploma after 2 years. The course involves a mixture of attendance days at the RCP in London, and self-directed learning, with assessed written assignments. Further information can be found on the RCP site

Taking your studies even further could lead to a Doctorate. Twelve Tips for Studying Medical Education at Doctorate Level provides advice about the important steps on this journey.