Medical Education Conference 2013
Transitions in Medical Education and Training
2013’s conference programme was built on the success of previous, very
popular events. The theme was Transitions in Medical Education and Training and for this reason we organised
our two annual conferences to run on consecutive days.
Medical Education Conference highlights
We were very fortunate to have a number of inspirational national and international speakers including Prof Sir John Tooke, Dr David Hirsh from Harvard Medical School, Prof Trudie Roberts from Leeds, Dr Vicky Tallentire from Edinburgh, Prof Christine Jorm from Sydney and Dr Anita Berlin (UCL).
There were also a host of interactive workshops including two aimed at supporting
medical educators formally credentialing their teaching.
The programme from the day can be accessed here. All presentations from our keynote speakers and workshops are below.
- Professor Sir John Tooke - "The doctor's role in the 21st century: challenges and opportunities"
- Dr David Hirsh - "The case for curricular integration: what Harvard's longitudinal Integrated Clerkship teaches about transitions and clinical learning"
- Professor Trudie Roberts - "Understanding and developing learning in clinical settings: research into practice"
- Dr Vicky Tallentire - "Acute care and the transition into clinical practice: as easy as ABC?"
- Dr Anita Berlin - "Public and patient involvement in medical education: some implications for students, patients, teachers and the medical school"
- Dr Christine Jorm - "Being a doctor - the whole pie or just a slice? Generational issues in professionalism"
- Dr Laura-Jane Smith - Transitions, transactions, belonging and becoming: eportfolios in medical education
- Dr Deborah Gill and Rosalind Duhs - Credentialing your teaching
- Dr Catherine O'Keefe - Social capital: a tool for promoting more effective workplace based learning relationships during transition
- Ceri Butler - Supporting international medical graduates' transition into practice
- Susan Edwards - Managing career transitions in medical education
- Dr Jonathan Cartledge - Team learning
- Dr Jayne Kavanagh and Kath Woolf - Engaging the public in medical education: the ingredients for success
- Huw Rees and Chris James - Mentoring: a tool for supporting doctors through transition
- Dr Ann Griffin, Dr Sophie Park and Dr Anita Berlin - The meta-medical educator
- Dr David Hirsh - How to build Longitudinal Integrated Clerkships fit to context: practical tools for modern pedagogy