Each year we accept a small number of students who have exceptional reasons for seeking to transfer to Year 4 of our MBBS programme from other UK medical schools, either to complete their primary medical qualification or to join our MBPhD programme.
Applicants must have permission from their own medical school to approach UCLMS and a strong academic record (top quartile of their cohort) including evidence of their research potential and ability to thrive as a UCL Doctor: a highly competent and scientifically literate clinician, equipped to practise person-centred medicine in a constantly changing modern world, with a foundation in the basic medical and social sciences.
To be eligible to transfer to UCLMS, applicants must:
- satisfy our academic entry requirements for undergraduate medicine
- have completed 2 years of an equivalent 5 year undergraduate medical degree programme at a publically-funded medical school in the UK;
- achieve a 2:1 in an intercalated BSc or fulfil the entry requirements for graduate students
- be eligible to continue at their own medical school
We regret that we are currently unable to accept applications from students who are following accelerated graduate entry programmes, programmes that are run in collaboration with UK medical schools at overseas campuses, or students at private medical schools.
Students who are interested in applying to the MBBS or MBPhD programme should first submit an expression of interest to the Medical School’s Divisional Tutor at: firstname.lastname@example.org outlining their reason for seeking to transfer.
To enter the MBPhD programme, students must first obtain and take up a place in Year 4 of our MBBS programme. Applications to the MBPhD programme are then submitted during Year 4.
The formal application process to transfer to the MBBS will require a letter from the medical school dean confirming permission to apply, a full academic transcript, a summary of the curriculum followed in the first 2 years of undergraduate medicine study; and an academic reference commenting on research potential and suitability for UCLMS’ integrated systems-based curriculum underpinned by the values of scholarship, rigour and professionalism.
Each application is considered on its own merits by a selection panel, the decision of the panel is final and feedback is not provided.
In the academic year preceding proposed entry to Year 4 of the MBBS:
|End of January||Last date for expressions of interest|
|End of February||Closing date for submission of formal applications and documentation|
|July||Offer holders confirm fulfilment of conditions (progression, IBSc classification, DBS clearance, OH questionnaire)|
|September||Start of year 4|
During Year 4 for entry to the MBPhD programme on completion of Year 4:
|March||The closing date for applications is usually in March. Please check the MBPhD website to confirm the timelines in the year in which you apply.|
- MBBS Programme
- MBPhD Programme
- Fees: Transfer students are admitted as continuing students rather than as new entrants and existing fee status applies. Please contact email@example.com if you wish further clarification, making clear that your query relates to transfer entry into Year 4 of UCL’s MBBS programme.
- Accommodation: Transfer students are eligible to apply for student accommodation as new entrants to UCL.