Our Leadership route allows you to develop your expertise in key elements of leadership theory and practice.
Please note, if you wish to study the PG Cert or PG Dip, you must select the flexible modular option on your application.
- You can study for a named ‘Leadership’ award at each level of the course: certificate, diploma and MSc.
- At certificate and diploma level, you need to choose 50% of your module credits from our list of leadership-themed modules in order to exit with a named award:
- The remainder of your credits can be made up from our comprehensive list of optional modules.
- To graduate with an MSc in HPE (Leadership) you also need to have leadership as the focus of your MSc research project.
PG Cert in Health Professions Education (Leadership)
If you wish to study for a PG Cert in Health Professions Education (Leadership) you will need to complete 60 credits of modules, which must be made up from Leadership Modules worth 30 credits, and 30 credits of other modules chosen from the optional module list
PG Diploma in Health Professions Education (Leadership)
If you wish to study for a PG Diploma in Health Professions Education (Leadership), you will need to complete a total of 120 credits of modules, of which 60 credits must be selected from the designated list of Leadership Modules.
If you wish to exit the programme with a diploma, you can choose the remaining 60 credits from the optional module list.
If you wish to progress to the MSc, you will need to take a 15 credit pre-requisite module in the diploma year, based on the type of research project you wish to do:
- If you wish to undertake desk-based research in the form of a literature review, the pre -requisite module is the 15 credit ‘Conducting Literature Reviews for Clinical Education Research’.
- If you wish to undertake empirical research, by collecting data from research participants, the pre-requisite module is the 15 credit ‘Writing a Research Proposal for Clinical Education Projects’ module.
The remaining 45 credits can be chosen from the optional module list
The MSc consists of 180 credits, comprising 60 credits of Leadership Modules, a 15 credit pre-requisite module, 45 credits of optional modules, plus a 60 credit Master’s year research project.
You can choose what type of research project you wish to do, as well as choosing the format of the final thesis:
- The Dissertation is based on an extended research project in which you collect and analyse empirical data, usually from research participants, in order to answer your research question. This is written up as a 10-12,000 word thesis.
- The Report is an alternative option to the Dissertation and is based on an extended review of literature, in which desk-based research is used to answer your research question. As with the Dissertation, your work is presented as a 10-12,000 words thesis
To exit with an MSc in Health Professions Education (Leadership), you must have leadership as the focus of your MSc research project.
Please note you can only apply for the full MSc however if you would like to study a Postgraduate Certificate or Diploma you can choose to exit with these interim awards once you have achieved the required credits