This new Master’s programme from UCL Medical School is designed to equip clinicians from all professional backgrounds to deliver the highest standards of education.
The programme includes a wide choice of health professions education modules, including popular modules on educational fundamentals, such as teaching & learning and assessment, as well as innovative modules on topics as diverse as clinical simulation, quality improvement, leadership and ethics & law. There is also the opportunity to study a range of modules from the world-leading UCL Institute of Education.
The course is designed to be truly flexible to meet your needs and fit with your preferred study options – you are free to curate a programme of study that best suits your interests, and you have the option of specialising in one of four domains that are aligned to known career-progression pathways in clinical education: Assessment, Leadership, Research and Primary Care.
The programme also emphasises transferable skills, and thus enables participants to cultivate their research and analytical capabilities in order to:
- develop their practice as educational supervisors and mentors
- develop their skills and practice as teachers
- critically analyse theory, policy and practice in health professions education
- conduct research in health professions education
The programme is delivered by our experienced, multi-professional team and grounded in the scholarship and research of UCL Medical School’s renowned Research Department of Medical Education, whilst having a clear focus on practical application in your working life.
Novel assessment methods, including blogs, posters and creative assignments are designed to support and encourage you to publish your work as well as helping to make this programme special.
- No core modules – the course can be entirely bespoke for your requirements
- Specialist options – you can decide to do a broad-coverage MSc HPE, choosing modules from a range of subject areas, or you may wish to concentrate on a main specialist theme to better suit your career path. There are five routes to choose from:
- MSc HPE
- MSc HPE (Primary Care)
- MSc HPE (Leadership)
- MSc HPE (Research)
- MSc HPE (Assessment) – to be launched in 2019-20
- Three exit points from the programme:
- PG Cert (60 credits)
- PG Dip (120 credits)
- MSc (180 credits)
- Full-time or flexible modular study to fit with your working pattern and time commitments
- Face-to-face, blended learning and online modules to suit your study preferences
MSc Health Professions Education module library
You can review the module library here.
Teaching and learning
This programme is delivered through a combination of face-to-face evening and daytime sessions and workshops and online distance learning. Assessment is by coursework assignments, including 5,000-word essays with reflective statements.
|Modes and duration:||Full-time: 1 year|
Flexible: up to 5 years
|Mixed mode learning:||Available|
|Programme start dates:||September 2019 and January 2020|
|Tuition fees 2018-19:||UK/EU: £8,400 (FT)|
Overseas: £18,240 (FT)
|Application deadlines:||Open: 15th October 2018|
Close: 26th July 2019
|Optional qualifications:||This degree is also available as a PG Diploma and a PG Certificate with fees set accordingly. Fees note: Fees for flexible, modular study are charged pro-rata to the appropriate full-time Master's fee taken in an academic session.|
|Why study this degree at UCL?||The programme team have extensive expertise and experience in research and practice in clinical education and training. The programme has been developed and run in collaboration with experts from a variety of educational fields across UCL, from the NHS and from policy makers such as Health Education England.|
|Who can apply?||This programme is suited to practitioners of all disciplines involved in the education and training of medical, nursing and other healthcare staff.|