This is the most flexible of our study routes, allowing you to choose freely from our comprehensive list of optional modules. Please note, if you wish to study the PG Cert or PG Dip, you must select the flexible modular option on your application.
PG Cert in Health Professions Education
If you wish to study for a Postgraduate Certificate in Health Professions Education, you must complete 60 credits of modules, which can be made up from modules worth 15 or 30 credits chosen from the module list.
There is no prescribed core content, so you are able to choose the modules that most interest you.
PG Diploma in Health Professions Education
- If you wish to study for a postgraduate diploma, you must complete a total of 120 credits of modules. If you wish to exit the programme with a diploma, you have a completely free choice of module options.
- If you wish to progress to the MSc, you will need to take a 15 credit pre-requisite module in the diploma year, based on the type of research project you wish to do.
- If you wish to undertake desk-based research in the form of a literature review, the pre-requisite module is the 15 credit module ‘Conducting Literature Reviews for Clinical Education Research’.
- If you wish to undertake empirical research, by collecting data from research participants, the pre-requisite module is the 15 credit ‘Writing a Research Proposal for Clinical Education Projects’ module.
MSc in Health Professions Education
The MSc consists of 180 credits, comprising 120 credits from taught modules plus a research project. You can choose what type of research project you wish to do, as well as choosing the format of the final thesis:
- The Dissertation is based on an extended research project in which you collect and analyse empirical data, usually from research participants, in order to answer your research question. This is written up as a 10-12,000 word thesis.
- The Report is an alternative option to the Dissertation and is based on an extended review of literature, in which desk-based research is used to answer your research question. As with the Dissertation, your work is presented as a 10-12,000 words thesis.
Please note you can only apply for the full MSc however if you would like to study a Postgraduate Certificate or Diploma you can choose to exit with these interim awards once you have achieved the required credits