Public engagement is central to medical education at UCL, alongside teaching and research. Staff and students participate in a wide range of activities to involve the general public in the education of our future doctors.
Dr Jayne Kavanagh is the winner of the 2013/14 'Engager of the Year (researcher/academic)' award, one of the Provost’s Public Engagement Awards. Jayne was nominated for this award for her leading role in creating and running the Beacon-funded 2013/14 project ‘Stories from the soul: doctors’ choices, women’s lives’
Dr Kath Woolf also won the Provost’s Public Engagement Award in 2010/11 for the exciting project, Reel Health Stories, which asked local people to share their experiences of healthcare through a short film entered into a competition
The GMC highlighted UCL Medical School's public engagement as a point of good practice in their 2012/13 review of UCLMS.
Some of our key projects are:
- Birdshot day
- Viva la Vulva
We also run the student-led widening access to medicine project - Target Medicine.
Public Lectures and Podcasts
- Watch Katherine Woolf's lunch hour lecture -"Game of clones"
- Watch Petra Boynton's UCL lunch hour lecture - "Sex education via the media:promises and pitfalls"
- Listen to Narciss Okhravi's and Katherine Woolf's podcast - Bright Club - ITunes or non ITunes
- Watch Katherine Woolf's public lecture - Race Equality: "Ethnicity and attainment in UK medicine"
- Listen to Katherine Woolf's - First attempt at stand up at Bright Club