Excellence in Medical Education Awards 2018-19
As an organisation committed to teaching and learning, the Medical School wishes to identify and reward those making an outstanding contribution and commitment to UCLMS students and their education. The Excellence in Medical Education Awards (EMEAs) provide recognition of exceptional contributions to education in any year of the MBBS programme.
The 2018-19 EMEA application process has now closed.
Who Can Apply?
*Applicants must have been involved in the undergraduate medical education of UCLMS students for a minimum of 1 year, including:
- Any member of academic or administrative staff, who is an employee of UCL.
- Clinicians or administrators based at NHS sites (community or hospital).
- Teams working together to provide teaching or implement a specific educational project.
- Members of support staff involved in the facilitation of student learning.
*Please note that if you have won an EMEA in the last three years you will need to show significant development in the field or be clear that the application is on the basis of clearly distinct work.
Method of Application
- EMEA Application Form 2018-19
- EMEA Academic Guidance Notes 2018-19
- EMEA Administrator Guidance Notes 2018-19
The application form is organised under headings with reference to the criteria set out in the Guidance Notes. Applicants will need to provide examples of evidence to illustrate how their practice meets these criteria.
- Sections 1, 2 & 3 must be completed.
- Team applications must also include a description of how each member contributes to the team's activities.
- It is not essential to excel in all areas to be considered for an EMEA. Your application can focus on outstanding achievement in two or three key areas or on a broader range of activities. There is no specific time frame for your activities or examples, however, they should be relevant to current teaching.
- Additional relevant supporting materials should be provided with an explanation of their relevance to the application. We have developed different sets of guidance notes for academics and administrators to provide examples of relevant evidence for each to submit with their applications.
- The reference section should be completed by the candidate’s Head of Department, Division or Institute, the Undergraduate Tutor at their NHS site or another appropriate teaching lead or senior colleague, who must countersign part of the form.
Selection Process & Criteria
A sub-group of mQMEC will assess the quality of the applications and their supporting evidence, whilst recognising any specialist requirements of the discipline. The decision of mQMEC sub-group will be announced in May. The decision is final and there is no right of appeal.
Winners will be notified following the selection process and their awards will be presented at the UCLMS MBBS degree ceremony. Winners' names will be widely publicised and reported to mQMEC and the MBBS Teaching Committee (MBBS TC).
Enquiries about any aspect of the EMEAs should be addressed to the QA unit.