1. Areas of activity
UCL Medical School (UCLMS) directs the MBBS programme and commissions undergraduate medical education from the 4 faculties of UCL’s School of Life and Medical Sciences and associated NHS clinical placement providers. Within UCLMS, MBBS Management is the professional services unit responsible for managing and co-ordinating the programme.
MBBS Management comprises 5 teams responsible for the following functions and working to the service standards listed for each:
Medical Student Records and Support
Clinical and Professional Practice and Quality Assurance
Curriculum and Assessments in Years 1-3
Curriculum and Assessments in Years 4-6
Careers and Foundation School
MBBS Management coordinates the delivery of academic modules and clinical placements to management guidelines and service standards determined by the Medical School and set out at:
Managing Integrated Modules and Placements
MBBS Management liaises with the Faculty of Medical Sciences Graduate Officer who currently manages admission to the MBPhD programme:
2 Users of MBBS Management services include:
Staff of the Faculties of Life Sciences, Brain Sciences, Medical Sciences and Population Health Sciences, potential and actual applicants for the MBBS programme, current medical students and their parents and relatives, graduate students on taught and research programmes, schools and colleges and their staff, universities in the UK and overseas, Medical School alumni, job applicants, employers, outside agencies and organisations, NHS Trusts, general practice and community units, departments of the Department of Health/NHS Executive.
In whatever ways are appropriate, MBBS Management will periodically consult its users (or representatives of them) on the provision of its services and the standards and levels of those services. Such reviews will be co-ordinated by the Head of MBBS Management.
3 Service Standards
The nature and scope of the service provided by MBBS Management to its users will vary according to the user requesting or receiving it, but will be underpinned by the following aims and standards:-
- to carry out the functions and services listed as efficiently, economically and expeditiously as possible and in accordance with approved UCL policies, procedures and undertakings as set out in UCL regulations, procedure documents and codes of practice;
- to provide a courteous and prompt response to any person making contact with MBBS Management in accordance with the MBBS Communications Policy;
- to provide ready access to any information or service that MBBS Management is responsible for, subject to any constraints that may be imposed by confidentiality, data protection, UCL policy or the Freedom of Information Act;
- to communicate with users clearly and comprehensively in compliance with the Medical School’s communications policy;
- to implement and facilitate UCL policy, procedures, management and administration in whatever way may be required and to assist UCL staff to that end;
- to promote and seek to maintain UCL’s quality, standards, reputation and image in whatever ways are appropriate;
- to investigate promptly and respond to complaints within a reasonable period. In accordance with UCL procedure, every effort will be made to resolve complaints informally and UCL’s formal complaints procedure will normally only be invoked when it has not been possible to resolve the matter in this way;
- to make all practicable provision for the continuity of essential MBBS Management services and facilities in the event of a major incident affecting it, or UCL in a wider context;
- to monitor, as far as is practicable, users’ views of the services provided and to review procedures, operations and service standards accordingly.
4 Responsibilities of users
In order to enable it to meet the service standards set out above, and the service levels defined for each area of activity listed, MBBS Management relies upon its users, where appropriate, to respond to communications, to meet specified deadlines, to provide the necessary information, and to comply with UCL regulations and procedures. If these requirements are not met it will not be possible for MBBS Management to meet the service standards and levels specified in these documents.
Any comments or complaints about the services provided by the MBBS Management should be emailed to the Head of MBBS Management at: firstname.lastname@example.org.