Studying in London is very expensive, especially for medical students who undertake a long and demanding course with little opportunity to combine study with part-time work. Financial worries can often impact on studies, with many students struggling to maintain their basic costs of living and at risk of falling behind. Our objectives are:
- To make a UCLMS education open to excellent students regardless of income
- To attract and support a diverse student body
- To ensure, once at UCL, our medical students thrive without being compromised by financial difficulties
We’re committed to ensuring our students thrive and have the best experience of UCLMS with all the opportunities our community brings.
Ways you can support students include:
- Donate to our Medical Student Support Fund
- Leave a Gift in your Will
- RUMS Alumni Award
- RUMS Finalists Ball
This fund aims to make a UCL education open to excellent students no matter their income and background. Whether that's to cover the cost of a broken laptop, a travelcard or everyday living essentials, your gift will help to ensure that all students have an equivalent experience to their peers with the same opportunities.
Leave a Gift in your Will
By leaving a gift in your will, you have the opportunity to shape and secure students' futures for generations to come. Once you have remembered those closest to you, there are several ways to support medical students by including in your will one or more of the following options:
- A percentage of your estate once all fees, outstanding costs and other gifts have been completed. You can leave as little as 1% of your estate to the Medical School.
- A specific cash amount. It’s possible to link your gift to the Retail Price Index, which ensures your gift retains the same value in the future and does not decrease in value over time. Your solicitor can advise on this.
- A gift that benefits your loved ones first. This allows you to leave part or all of your estate for the benefit of a particular person(s) for the duration of their lifetime. On their death, the assets pass wholly or in part to UCL.
- A specific legacy item for example land, property, antiques, etc.
RUMS Alumni Executive funds
The RUMS Alumni Executive is an alumni group dedicated to supporting students, from the start of medical school through to Foundation Year and beyond. They run two funds for distinct causes which all alumni and friends are welcome to contribute to:
1. RUMS Alumni Award
This award is allocated annually to Years 1 and 2 students who have shown an outstanding contribution to extracurricular activities, e.g. arts, sports, community work. Applications are considered by the Executive and awards of £250 are made each winter.
2. RUMS Finalists' Ball
The Executive would appreciate any donations towards their support of the Final Year students' ball. Help students celebrate six years of hard work and the start of their careers as UCL doctors!