Centre for Medical Imaging,
Room 2.02, Charles Bell House
43-45 Foley Street,
London, W1W 7TS.
David Atkinson is a Reader in Magnetic Resonance Imaging. Since 2011 he has been based in the UCL Centre for Medical Imaging, having previously worked in MRI within CMIC at UCL and at Guy’s Hospital, London.
Our research aims to develop and evaluate new clinical imaging techniques. This includes new imaging sequences not previously evaluated on patients, and improvements to existing techniques to make them faster, higher quality or provide better resolution.
UCL Institutional Research Information Site (IRIS) link.
To view an autogenerated list from the UCL Research Publications Service, please click here. Note not all authors are always displayed in these lists.
- CRUK Multidisciplinary Project Award "UNDISTORT Correction of Distortions in Diffusion MRI". This study is adopted in the NIHR Clinical Research Network Portfolio and is listed on ClinicalTrials.gov.
- EPSRC grants, past and present: EPSRC grants.
- EPSRC funded Collaborative Computational Project in PET-MR reconstruction
- EPSRC: "A framework for efficient synergistic spatiotemporal reconstruction of PET-MR dynamic data".
- Wellcome / EPSRC Fetal Surgery Grant
- MRC Experimental Challenge Grant (£1.6M, Nottingham led) "The causes of constipation. Reclassifying constipation using MRI and high resolution manometry to define mechanism of disease and target treatment"
- KCL/UCL Cancer Imaging Centre. Supervising 2 PhD students from this centre.
- Siemens Healthcare with UCL Impact Scheme: PhD studentships in PET-MR.
- UCL Hospitals Biomedical Research Centre: SIGNAL stroke.
- Arthritis Research UK. "Rivaroxaban versus warfarin for stroke patients with antiphospholipid syndrome, with or without SLE (RISAPS): a randomised, controlled, phase II/III, non-inferiority trial." Co-Investigator, trial is described in Lancet Haematol. End points are from MR imaging.
- Radiological Research Trust. "Advanced MRI for the assessment of placental function in Fetal Growth Restriction".
research projects and collaborations include:
- Support and development of imaging trials including POPPY, EPICure@19, SABRE, INNOVATE (micro-structural information from diffusion MRI) and SIGNAL (stroke imaging).
- Tissue Microstructure from diffusion MRI: Prostate
- Motion Correction: 3D abdominal MRI | PET-MR | PET-MR (clinical examples)
- Gastrointestinal Motility: Optic Flow Characterisation | Motility in unaffected bowel in Crohn's Disease
- Chemical Exchange Saturation Transfer (CEST): Glucose and endogenous CEST.
- Fetal MR imaging.
- The ISMRM Raw Data format paper.
- Diffusion Weighted Imaging outside of the head: Systemic Right Ventricle | Kidneys | Eddy current characterisation.
- Tissue Characterisation from diffusion MRI: Sacroiliac Joint Disease
- Robust Principal Component Analysis (low-rank and sparse decomposition) applied to: DCE Data Registration | Free-breathing bowel motility quantification | Spike artefact reduction | undersampled data reconstruction
Information for Yr 1 and Yr 2 MBBS students, and the MSc in Advanced Biomedical Imaging - personal tutor information