Progression to the Next Year

Progression from Year 1 to Year 2 (BSc or MSci)

Normally a total of at least 3.5 units from the first year must have been passed. Note that students on the combined degree of Mathematics and Statistics must also pass the module STAT1005 in order to progress.

Progression from Year 2 to Year 3 (BSc)

Normally a total of at least 7 units from the first and second year must have been passed

Progression from Year 2 to Year 3 (MSci)

In addition to the 7 units that must be passed, normally the overall weighted average of the first and second years should be 60% or better.

If the weighted average is fairly close to 60% (normally in the range 55 - 60%), then the question of progression is resolved by discussion with the Departmental tutor.

If the weighted average is well below 60%, then, assuming a total of at least 7 units have been passed, the student is transferred to the BSc and can continue into the third year of the BSc.

Graduation (BSc)

Normally the following conditions must be satisfied to graduate:

  1. a total of at least 11 units must have been passed;
  2. at least 3 units at advanced level passed;
  3. a total of 12 units (i.e. all modules) must have been "completed", that is, all components worth more than 10% of the mark - usually this means the exam - must have been attempted.

in which case an honours degree is awarded. Students who have passed at least 10 units, with at least two course-units passed at advanced level, may be considered for a BSc ordinary degree.

Progression from Year 3 to Year 4 (MSci)

Each 3rd year MSci student who has satisfied the conditions to be awarded BSc degree is assigned a nominal BSc degree class: the student has the option of transferring to the BSc and graduating with this degree.

To progress to Year 4 the following conditions must normally be met:

  1. A total of at least 11 units from the first three years must have been passed,
  2. The class of nominal BSc degree awarded must be a 2i or first.

If condition (1) is met but not (2), then the student is normally transferred to the BSc and graduates.

Graduation (MSci)

Normally a total of at least 14.5 units must have been passed, 16 units completed, and at least 3 units passed at master's level.

If this condition is not met, the student will normally be awarded a BSc degree based on his first three year's performance, i.e. the nominal BSc degree assigned at the end of the third year will be awarded.

BSc/MSci What happens if conditions to progress are not met.

Progression Problems

What happens if insufficient units are passed to allow immediate progression into next year of degree programme or to graduate?

Please note rules have changed considerably from previous years.

You should discuss things with the Departmental Tutor.

  1. If you have failed up to 2 units (60 credits in the new counting system), you will normally take late summer assesssment(s). (https://www.ucl.ac.uk/maths/undergraduates/exam-info/exams-accordion/re-...) If you then have passed enough units to progress/graduate, you can progress to the next year as normal or graduate (with a slightly later graduation date e.g. 1 Oct).  If you fail to pass enough credits to progress/graduate, you will then have to abandon your degree at UCL.  Note that re-sits are now capped at the pass mark (40% for all UG modules except Level 7 - master's level - modules).
  2. If you have failed more than 2 units (60 credits in the new counting system), you will normally have to repeat the failed units.  This means re-attending, paying proportionate fees, being a registered UCL student, attending lectures, submitting coursework, etc, and taking the exams in May 2019.  If you are in receipt of a student loan, you should contact the student loan company to find out the situation.
  3. You can give up the degree programme. If you are in the first year, you may be able to find another more suitable degree programme to start; if so, you may be able to obtain loans, etc. for the new degree programme, provided that the change of programme is supported by both institutions involved. It is your responsibility to find a new course, apply for it, discuss any matters to do with loans with student loan company, etc, although you may get advice from the Departmental Tutor or other staff.