#MadeAtUCL is a new campaign which aims to bring to life UCL’s impact on people, lives and communities mainly through our ground-breaking research and discoveries.
The UCL community nominated hundreds of stories about the everyday ways that UCL’s work has been touching lives whether through health, technology, culture, environment, community, justice & equality. These stories underwent a selection process involving staff and members of the public.
Stories shortlisted as part of this campaign demonstrate how they:
- Improved the everyday lives of people in ways that the general public can relate to
- Caused a step change in a particular area of life, or are significant
- Are future-focused or technologically innovative
- Resonate with people’s lived experiences
- Generate feelings of intrigue, wonder and surprise
The shortlisted stories are now available from this website, and everyone can vote for their favourites.
What you can do to participate:
> Vote for as many stories as you want in all six themes.
> Listen to a special podcast series produced by UCL graduates and academics, as well as podcasts from the #MadeAtUCL Marquee event at the It’s All Academic Festival - available on SoundCloud, Spotify, Apple Podcasts and Acast.
> The campaign will culminate in a celebratory event where star stories will be revealed.
> Stay up-to-date by signing-up to our UCL Minds mailing list of public events, lectures, performances, exhibitions, podcasts and activities.
- UCL was founded in 1826 to open higher education to students from a wider range of backgrounds and to change the way we create and share knowledge.
- We were the first in England to welcome women to university education and that courageous attitude and disruptive spirit is still alive today.
- We are a diverse community with the freedom to challenge, think differently and make an impact in the world beyond our campus.
- We provide a supportive environment where academic insight and pioneering thinking can thrive, deepening knowledge and developing solutions to global problems.
- We have a progressive and integrated approach to teaching and research – championing innovation, creativity and cross-disciplinary working.
- We teach our students how to think, not what to think, and see them as partners, collaborators and contributors.
- We are ranked eighth in the world and are amongst a handful of institutions rated as having the strongest academic reputation and the broadest citation impact across disciplines.