In this programme you'll enhance your understanding of strategic leadership and advance your leadership skills so you can:
- lead and influence others within your team and beyond
- understand the use of motivation as a leadership tool
- learn about leading yourself and your team
- clarify your communication style and strengths, including how you motivate others
- deal with contentious issues and whole school initiatives
It's aimed at new leaders in senior leadership roles or experienced middle leaders in education with at least three years' experience.
The programme is designed to increase your professional
knowledge and understanding. This will have a positive impact on your
leadership behaviour, which will benefit your school and leadership team.
You'll also have excellent networking opportunities.
You'll need to attend three full days and a final twilight session at UCL Institute of Education (IOE).
This programme is level three in a suite of courses designed for school leaders. It's based on the most up-to-date research and you'll be taught by curriculum experts from the London Centre for Leadership in Learning (LCLL) at UCL IOE.
Who this course is for
You should be either:
- a new leader in a senior leadership team
- an experienced middle leader in education with at least three years' experience, and involved in whole-school activities – who has already undertaken previous professional middle leader development
The programme runs over two terms, with three and a half days of face-to-face sessions:
- Day one: Communication - leadership communication, advanced listening skills, leadership vision, effective adult learning, coaching, beginning action research, accreditation options
- Day two: Motivation - motivation for self and others, goals and motivation, time management, leading change, coaching, mentoring, line management, empowerment
- Day three: Dialogue - leadership styles, distributive leadership, delivering change through project management, team culture, challenging dialogues, understanding the role of the school leadership team (SLT) and decision making
- Final twilight - present action research, learning conversation
View the programme flyer (pdf) for further details.
You'll attend three face-to-face leadership days and a final twilight session at UCL IOE.
You'll carry out inter-sessional tasks between the leadership days, which span two terms.
Throughout the programme you'll carry out a small-scale action research project and present this in a learning conversation at the end of the programme.
Certificates and assessment
You'll receive a certificate of completion at the end of the programme.
You have the option of gaining 30 Master's-level credits towards an IOE Master’s degree. For this, you'll need to complete an additional assignment and pay an additional ‘top up’ fee to cover this. Information about this option will be provided at the start of the programme.
By the end of the course, you'll have:
- learned to lead yourself and your team
- clarified your communication style and strengths
- understood the use of motivation as a leadership tool
- advanced your skills in leading and influencing others
- intensified your impact on learning and teaching practices
- gained confidence in dealing with contentious issues and whole-school initiatives
Book a place
The programme has summer, autumn and spring cohorts. Contact the course administrator for further details of start dates.
Other programme delivery options
Schools, collaboratives and local authorities
programme can be run on-site for schools, groups of schools, local
authorities and multi-academy trusts. Contact the course administrator
for costs and more information.
international schools and groups of schools the programme can be run at
your overseas venue - contact the course administrator for costs and
Sign up for short course announcements: Subscribe to the UCL Life Learning newsletter to receive news and updates on courses in your chosen area. (For updates on a specific course, contact the administrator - see 'Contact information'.)
“I feel I have grown in confidence and will be able to use many of the strategies the facilitators have expertly delivered and shared. The facilitators’ enthusiasm and support has been great.”
“Thanks so much, the programme has made an enormous impact on my career development and of my understanding of effective leadership.”
“Superbly planned and executed by professional and articulate leaders. It has changed my view of what leadership is and my perception of my own qualities.”
“Great range of learning tools, variety of learning styles covered. Great confidence builder with relevant information.”
Course information last modified: 09 Oct 2018, 10:18