This one-day practical course for science technicians focuses on building the knowledge, key skills and techniques you need to effectively support A level biology teaching.
You'll learn how effectively support a range of practical activities through hands-on experience of a variety of apparatus and experiments.
The course will cover:
- the new curriculum
- new and traditional approaches to experiments known to be problematic
- ways to incorporate ICT (information and communication technology) into lessons to support student learning and the development of research / investigative skills required for the new curriculum
- health and safety, risk assessments and keeping up-to-date
You’ll also look at three experiments in detail:
Practical activities will include a heart rate investigation, dilutions and colorimetry, photosynthesis and ecology tips.
Who the course is for
This course is suitable for all secondary school and college science technicians, especially those working with Key Stages 4 and 5.
You’ll need to be working as a science technician in a school or college.
This course will help you to:
- improve your awareness of the practical demands of A level biology
- consider strategies for providing effective technical support
- gain confidence in the support you provide for the science department and students
- learn new skills and techniques to ensure good quality practical work and share good practice
- gain experience in the set-up and demonstration of key biology experiments, including relevant safety precautions
- understand hazard identification and risk assessment and the importance of keeping up to date
The course is delivered mainly as a practical workshop with some lectures/discussion.
You'll get a certificate of attendance on completing the course.
Sign up for short course announcements: Subscribe to the UCL Life Learning newsletter to receive news and updates on courses in your chosen area. (For updates on a specific course, contact the administrator - see 'Contact information'.)
Stephanie is a professional tutor and consultant for science technicians who work in an educational setting.
Course information last modified: 29 Apr 2019, 14:55