We don't have a date for this course yet. Please contact Alison Gibson to register your interest.
This one-day course for dental therapists and hygienists aims to upskill you so that you can confidently prescribe radiographs as an extended duty.
It's been designed to:
- meet the criteria for extended duties in prescribing as outlined by the General Dental Council (GDC)
- refresh your knowledge of current legislation and training requirements involved with dental radiography
- meet the GDC requirements on dental radiography
- remind you of the importance of justification, limitation and optimisation when using ionising radiation
The course is run by the UCL Eastman Dental Institute in London which has a broad range of continuing professional development (CPD) short courses. These provide hands-on training from experienced staff in dedicated facilities.
Course content and learning outcomes
During the day we'll look at:
- current best practice in radiation protection
- selecting appropriate radiographic views for specific situations
- the requirements for prescription
- justification and recording findings within scope of practice
By the end of the day, you should:
- have greater confidence and competency in the use of radiographs in a clinical session
- be competent and confident in prescribing radiographs in appropriate circumstances
- be better able to meet the criteria for the safe use of ionising radiation
- be better able to interpret radiographs
Who this course is for
You'll need to be a current dental therapist or hygienist to attend this course.
After the course - portfolio of cases
Following the one-day course you'll be required to complete a portfolio of ten case studies in the following six months. This must include a reflective account.
CPD points and certificate
You'll earn 6 hours verifiable CPD and a certificate of attendance on successful completion and assessment.
The price is £160.
All Eastman teachers are experienced professionals. You’ll be asked to submit written feedback via a questionnaire at the end of the course, which is used to monitor the course's quality of teaching and value for money.
Please read the Eastman's refunds policy before booking.
Sign up for short course announcements: Subscribe to the UCL Life Learning newsletter to receive news and updates on courses in your chosen area. (For updates on a specific course, contact the administrator - see 'Contact information'.)
Dr Barbara E. Dixon
Dental surgeon, B.D.S Manc 1978, MSc Dental Radiography 1996, DPDS Cardiff PGCert. Ed Bangor.
Barbara is a practice PDP and Clinical Governance Tutor. She has more than 20 years' experience and is the owner of a successful NHS dental practice in Anglesey. She also does a lot of community work and is a member of Soroptimist International.
She was the first woman in north Wales to gain an MSc in dental radiography from Kings College, London, and is also the only female from there to be elected to the Welsh Central Assessment Panel (a peer body that oversees performances of dentists in Wales).
Barbara specialises in sedation and is one of the first tutors to be appointed in a new scheme set up by Cardiff University to train and mentor general dental practitioners to administer sedation. She lectures on sedation and radiology in Wales and other parts of the U.K.
Course information last modified: 05 Jan 2018, 12:03