We don't have a date for this course yet. Please contact Patricia John to register your interest.
On this six-day course you'll learn about childhood growth and development, and the physiotherapy management of a number of paediatric musculoskeletal conditions and injuries.
This course is run by UCL Great Ormond Street Institute of Child Health (ICH).
Lectures and workshops will typically cover:
- neuromusculoskeletal growth, development and physical activity requirements in the growing child
- gait development and gait analysis throughout childhood
- surgical and physiotherapy management for congenital conditions, traumatic and overuse injuries
- tissue healing and implications for physiotherapy interventions
- physiotherapy and multidisciplinary management for chronic, long-term or rare conditions such as scoliosis, achondroplasia, haemophilia, epidermolysis-bullosa
- physiotherapy management for paediatric rheumatological conditions, chronic pain and fatigue
- selection and evaluation of appropriate outcome measurement instruments used in paediatric musculoskeletal physiotherapy
You'll also study a variety of clinical case studies in the context of problem solving exercises.
Who this course is for
You'll need to be a qualified physiotherapist, with a degree in physiotherapy at least equivalent to a lower second class Bachelor’s degree.
Teaching, structure and assessment
You'll attend face-to-face lectures, workshops and seminars by experts in the field.
Lectures will be recorded and made available via a virtual learning platform (Moodle), along with learning resources. You'll also use this platform to carry out e-learning activities, communicate with tutors and other students, and receive feedback.
You can take this course as either:
- a standalone short course for CPD purposes
- a 'taster module' that allows you to earn UCL credits
Find out more about the difference between physiotherapy short courses and taster modules on the ICH website.
The taster module is assessed by a three-hour written exam.
The fees are:
- £800 - short course
- £850 - taster module
By the end of this course you should be able to demonstrate advanced knowledge and understanding of:
- musculoskeletal growth and development, gait and physical activity requirements in the growing child
- the epidemiology, aetiology and pathophysiology of selected congenital, acute and chronic musculoskeletal conditions
- the physiotherapy and management of selected congenital, acute and chronic musculoskeletal conditions within a multidisciplinary, evidence based and clinical reasoning framework
- selected outcome measured used in paediatric musculoskeletal physiotherapy
You should also be able to critically reflect on your scope of practice, and role within the multi-disciplinary team, in the triage and management pathways of children and adolescents with selected congenital, acute and chronic musculoskeletal conditions.
Sign up for short course announcements: Subscribe to the UCL Life Learning newsletter to receive news and updates on courses in your chosen area. (For updates on a specific course, contact the administrator - see 'Contact information'.)
Course information last modified: 04 May 2017, 11:30