On this ten-day course you'll develop your knowledge and clinical skills in implant dental nursing.
You'll also prepare to sit the National Examining Board for Dental Nurses (NEBDN) Dental Implant Nursing examination.
During the course you'll:
- learn practical tips on surgery organisation, equipment and offering surgical support
- expand your knowledge of anatomy and physiology
- improve your skills for communicating effectively with patients
- learn how to keep patients and data safe
Completing this Certificate will demonstrate to employers that you have the proven skills, training and experience to be an invaluable dental implant nurse. UCL Eastman Dental Institute is a world-leader in dental education and an Eastman post-registration qualification will be recognised both in the UK and internationally.
The course is run by the UCL Eastman Dental Institute in London.
Course modules include:
- Implant treatment planning
- Medical emergencies
- Medico-legal issues
- Applied science of anatomy and physiology
- Health and safety
- Oral health in implant therapy
- Record keeping
- Implant treatment
- Role of chairside and surgical support
- Infection control/decontamination
- Instrumentation equipment and materials
- Interdisciplinary roles
- Advanced surgical procedures
The full timetable will be provided after registration.
Who this course is for
You must be a dental nurse and registered with the General Dental Council (GDC).
You must have access to patients undergoing dental implant treatment and have a supportive work environment.
By the end of the course you should be able to:
- discuss treatment planning options and potential contra-indications to treatment
- discuss surgical and restorative implant procedures as well as complications that can arise
- undertake a written examination to demonstrate your knowledge and understanding of dental implant nursing
- demonstrate competency in assisting with various dental implant procedures
- provide a portfolio of evidence to demonstrate your competency
Structure, teaching and assessment
Each day will run from approximately 9:30am to 5pm.
Teaching is provided by a multidisciplinary team of registered specialists and experienced dental nurses.
The course is delivered through a series of interactive lectures, seminars, and hands-on training.
Assessment is through participation during seminars and discussions, an MCQ exam, spotter test and surgery draping test.
In addition, the NEBDN Record of Competence will be monitored throughout the Certificate.
This course will next run from 26 September 2017 to August 2018.
NEBDN exams are held in March and September.
This course costs £1,195.
Included in the fees are:
- all course materials and face-to-face teaching
- refreshments during teaching days
- access to the online platform
The NEBDN examination fee is extra (£195).
Tuition fees are set each year and may be subject to increases.
How to apply
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org for an application pack.
Frequently asked questions
Please see our FAQs (pdf).
CPD points and certificate
You'll gain 65 hours of verifiable CPD, plus a certificate of attendance.
All Eastman teachers are experienced professionals. You’ll be asked to submit written feedback via a questionnaire at the end of the course, which is used to monitor the course's quality of teaching and value for money.
Please read the Eastman's refunds policy before booking.
Sign up for short course announcements: Subscribe to the UCL Life Learning newsletter to receive news and updates on courses in your chosen area. (For updates on a specific course, contact the administrator - see 'Contact information'.)
Since beginning her career as a dental nurse at 19, Isis has worked in both private and NHS practices, completing her Certificate in Dental Nursing in 2001 and joining UCL Eastman Dental Institute CPD in 2008.
The world-class education at the Eastman allowed Isis to observe specialist teaching in implantology, restorative dentistry, and endodontics. In 2009, while completing her Certificate in Oral Health Education, she discovered that her recurrent difficulties with study were caused by dyslexia. She adjusted to this challenge and used her qualification to teach community-based oral health care.
In 2014, Isis assumed teaching responsibility for the dental nurse aspects of the Restorative Dental Practice MSc and the Postgraduate Implant Dentistry Diploma. After the success of these, Isis was asked to prepare and run one-day dental implant nursing courses for the Eastman. These courses are now in high demand from dental nurses around the country.
Assad is Senior Clinical Teaching Fellow on the Postgraduate Diploma in Implant Dentistry, and the course leader of the NEBDN Certificate in Dental Implant Nursing at the Eastman Dental Institute.
Course information last modified: 30 Aug 2017, 11:30