Cost: £995 *
*Concessions may be available
We don't have a date for this course yet. Please contact Alison Gibson to register your interest.
This two-day CPD course is designed for dental hygienists and therapists who want to understand and gain experience in using laser therapy in their daily practice.
It will give you a sound knowledge of, and experience with, laser-tissue interaction.
You'll learn to use laser therapy to benefit your patients’ experiences and outcomes.
The course aims to provide evidence-based core knowledge in laser use for your daily practice. It will also help you refine your practical skills.
You'll earn 13 hours of verifiable CPD (continuing professional development).
You're also welcome to sign up to the five-hour online introductory course.
The course is run at the UCL Eastman Dental Institute in London in collaboration with the University of Genoa.
The two modules cover the following areas.
- What is laser? How does it work? Types of lasers used in dentistry
- Laser operating parameters
- Laser health and safety
- Laser-assisted restorative therapy
- Practical session: laser-hard tissue interaction and its applications on pigs heads and extracted teeth
- Laser use in periodontology
- Laser use in implantology and peri-implantitis related to hygienists' and therapists’ roles
- Selective criteria for choosing patients
- Treatment modalities and laser protocols
- Clinical cases: delegates case presentations and forum for discussion
- Practical session: laser soft tissue interaction
Who this course is for
This course is perfect for dental hygienists and therapists who are keen to optimise their skills in using laser therapy to benefit patients’ experiences and outcomes.
This course is structured to benefit hygienists and therapists without laser experience in the field of periodontology and implantology.
Some experience of using lasers is desirable. However, this isn't necessary in order for you to benefit from this enhanced level of education.
By the end of the course you should:
- have improved your evidence-based core knowledge of laser use in dentistry and refined your practical skills
- have a clear clinical understanding in using lasers safely in your daily work
- be familiar with the clinical applications of different wavelengths related to periodontology, peri-implantitis and restorative dentistry.
Structure, teaching and assessment
The course consists of two modules over two consecutive days (running from approximately 9:30am to 5pm each day).
Course content will be delivered through modular didactic and practical sessions.
There will be clinical case presentations for participants who are already laser users.
The standard fee is £995. This is payable in instalments before the start of the course. Please contact Alison on email@example.com for more information.
CPD points and certificate
On successful completion of the course you'll gain 13 hours of verifiable CPD, plus a certificate of attendance.
All Eastman teachers are experienced professionals. You’ll be asked to submit written feedback via a questionnaire at the end of the course, which is used to monitor the course's quality of teaching and value for money.
Please read the Eastman's refunds policy before booking.
Sign up for short course announcements: Subscribe to the UCL Life Learning newsletter to receive news and updates on courses in your chosen area. (For updates on a specific course, contact the administrator - see 'Contact information'.)
The course team is from the University of Genoa
The Centre for Laser Surgery and Laser Therapy, University of Genoa, was established in 1998. Directed by Professor Stefano Benedicenti, it's an academic department dedicated exclusively to laser technologies, their theoretical and practical uses, and tissue regeneration.
Teaching on this course, from the Centre, will be:
Professor Stefano Benedicenti - Course Director
Dr Reem Hanna - Course Leader
Dr. Claudio Pasquale
Dr. Francesco Condomitti
Course information last modified: 02 Aug 2018, 16:10