This one-day course will give you an introduction to the role of the school or college science technician.
You'll learn about:
- health and safety
- policies and procedures
- technician skills
- where to get more information and what’s next
The course will help you to provide efficient and effective support to the whole science department and enhance student learning.
The course covers the following:
- The role of the science technician in a school or college
- Procedures and protocols
- Health and safety and the technician
- Keeping up to date
An afternoon hands-on practical session will also cover key technical skills, hints, tips and best practice and give you the opportunity to use a variety of equipment.
Who the course is for
This course is suitable for school or college science technicians working at any key stage.
You’ll need to be working as a science technician in a school or college.
This course will help you to:
- gain confidence in the support you provide for the science department and students
- develop and enhance the technical service and work cohesively as a member of a team
- describe and apply policies, procedures and actions that will lead to an effective and efficient technical service
- describe and explain safety implications and how to address them
- develop skills to identify and share good practice
The course is delivered mainly as a lecture with interactive discussion, and a practical workshop in the afternoon.
You'll get a certificate of attendance on completing the course.
Sign up for short course announcements: Subscribe to the UCL Life Learning newsletter to receive news and updates on courses in your chosen area. (For updates on a specific course, contact the administrator - see 'Contact information'.)
Stephanie is a professional tutor and consultant for science technicians who work in an educational setting.
Course information last modified: 07 Mar 2019, 17:14