This is a two-day CPD course on the surgical placement and subsequent restoration of dental implants with overdentures.
It will give you an overview of this rapidly changing field and provides hands-on skills practice.
You'll use phantom-head jaws during the hands-on sessions.
- an insight into the clinical protocols and procedures involved
- a better understanding of how to plan and treat patients who potentially require implant overdentures
The course is aimed at those new to implant dentistry.
The course is run by the UCL Eastman Dental Institute in London which has a broad range of continuing professional development (CPD) short courses. These provide hands-on training from experienced staff in dedicated facilities.
The course includes the following:
- Review of the principles of complete denture design
- Introduction of the concept of biometric guides in relation to conventional and implant-retained denture treatment
- Identifying, assessing and treatment planning for patients who may benefit from implant overdenture treatment
- Familiarisation with various techniques used in the execution of implant overdenture treatment
- Demonstration of techniques and procedures using live patient treatment
- Hands-on practical sessions on phantom-head jaws involving implant placement and restorative steps using locator attachments
- The main short-term and long-term complications with implant overdentures
Who this course is for
The course is aimed at those new to implant dentistry who would like to develop an overview of this rapidly changing field.
It provides an excellent introduction to further training in assisting during surgical and restorative aspects of implant dentistry.
Each session is structured to give interactive seminars on the theoretical aspects of planning and treating patients who may require implant overdentures.
Seminars are supported with a live demonstration of patient treatment followed by hands-on sessions involving surgical implant placement into phantom-head jaws and
You'll be able to practice skills under close supervision.
Each session is packed with practical clinical tips which can be applied to the everyday practice of implant dentistry as well as the wider field of removable prosthodontics in general.
CPD points and certificate
You'll get 13 hours of verifiable CPD and a certificate of attendance on completing the course.
All Eastman teachers are experienced professionals. You’ll be asked to submit written feedback via a questionnaire at the end of the course, which is used to monitor the course's quality of teaching and value for money.
Please read the Eastman's refunds policy before booking.
Sign up for short course announcements: Subscribe to the UCL Life Learning newsletter to receive news and updates on courses in your chosen area. (For updates on a specific course, contact the administrator - see 'Contact information'.)
Dr Pranay Sharma
Pranay joined the UCL Eastman Dental Institute in London in 2000 and completed a four-year specialist training program in fixed and removable prosthodontics, with distinction for his clinical case presentations. He was subsequently awarded the MRD, the highest formal qualification available for the prosthodontic speciality, by the Royal College of Surgeons of England.
Pranay is the programme director for the Removable Prosthodontic Programmes and is a part-time clinical lecturer in prosthodontics and implant dentistry at the Eastman, where he also runs hands-on courses in removable prosthodontics for dentists. Pranay is an examiner for the Royal College of Surgeons of England and an internal examiner for the restorative master’s course at the Eastman.
Course information last modified: 12 Apr 2019, 09:46